Signs of Spring.

Heavy snow squalls yesterday, 58° today so I'm guessing `springish?' Last year we got excited and had all sorts of planting done by early April, then a cold spell froze the ground solid for a couple of weeks (wiped out everything). This year I'm hoping for the best. Turkey Vultures were spotted Monday, the guys below, this afternoon. (Central MO).

headednorth022908.jpg

Quote:
Hey Beefy - it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. I'm thinking what snow drops? Then I realized, since Bayou mentioned them too (called them SnowBells), that those must be the names of the little white bell flowers that are coming up in droves. I asked my mother if she knew what they were called when she was here and she didn't. I like the name(s). I have a whole huge line of thick clumps of them coming up where the original fence must have been.

If you want some bulbs let me know and I'll send you some. They are coming up all in the horse pasture too.

Last edited:
Despite the snow that's falling even now as I type, my neighbor's Arnold's Promise witch hazel is in full bloom, I see the buds of red maple flowers swelling, and my snowdrops are up (although they're completely covered yet again. Spring is a hard process around here! But the sun is stronger, the birds sing in the morning, and this week is supposed to be in the high 40's to low 50's. Two steps forward and one step back
wink.png

We should have near Sping-type weather today, supposed to be in the high 60's today and next week we should have some 70 days, yeah!! I did get fooled last year becasue we had so many wramish days and I planted all my seeds and they germinated and were little seedlings this time of the year and then we had a hard freeze for about three nights and I lost every single thing I had started. Good lesson for me, I will be planting seeds at the END of March this year when it really is Springtime!! (really no room in my house to do that plus Iplant quite alot of veggies)
smile.png

Methinks I needs move south!
tongue.png

But the sun is a shine'n this a.m. which gives me hope!
clap.gif

The birds are singing and we are expecting a balmy, hmmm 32. I'll take it!
We begin careful planting in April but can get a killing frost up until Mothers Day. Sooooo, it's wait, wait, wait, then plant like crazy.
cool.png

Have a great weekend all!

Ya guys are killin me with all those beautiful springlike pics lol. Spring? Whats that? Here it is March already and we still have snow! In fact snow is a four letterr word here. This is the longest winter I could ever remember. I will have to say the snowplow operators are makin a killin this season. There is talk we are runnin out of roadsalt and the potholes are everwhere! I feel like we here in the midwest are living in the 2nd coming of the iceage!

Back
Top Bottom