Silkie Americauna mix stopped laying over 3 months ago

afoxyladync

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
All of my hens are the same age, give or take a month, except for my Plymouth Barred Rock, who is only 4 mo. I have different breeds and they are all laying except for my PBR and one of my Silkie Americauna mixes. My other SA mix is a consistent layer. About 3-4 mo ago one of my SA mixes stopped laying and I have no idea why. She started laying at close to 6 mo of age this summer, like the other mix, but then stopped. I have no idea why. We keep our coop outfitted with an infrared lamp for heat that is on at all times and we also have a regular bulb that is on a timer that has been extending the daylight by a couple of hours here with our shorter winter days. Not only is she not laying like everyone else, she is very vocal and loud. I doubt my neighbors appreciate that. My husband wants to turn her into dinner based on the aforementioned issues.

Any ideas/advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the article. I read it in its entirety. Those hens of mine are some spoiled girls for sure so all of the potential causes outlined in the article regarding care and environment are not applicable. She appears very healthy and she has never been broody. The only thing about her that is different from the others is how vocal she is. She is LOUD! I really appreciate the article. It was very informative and I will keep that info for other potential laying issues. Thanks so much! : )

Back
Top Bottom