Silkie chick not walking and weak for the past 5 days

No she doesnt seem to mind when I move her legs. I think the frustration for her comes from the fact that I have to try and read her mind as to what she wants and I have to handle her a lot to move her to her chick chair and do the exercises and feed her.

Did she ever try to grip something with her feet? If you would hold a branch under her feet or one foot, would she try to hold on it?

No I have been looking for that type of movement but have had no success. When I put my finger under her feet to grip she does not.

...It is so difficult to get a clue if at this point she doesn't know how to use her (biologically functional) legs or if she can't use them because of some physiological reason.
:hugs

Yes. I think thats the issue. I do notice that she seems to prefer to be lying down. When I prop her up on a sitting position I eventually find her lying down. I recently did that when she was next to me and watched her do it. It seems that she is possibly uncomfortable on her legs but as I said she does not complain when I massage or move them so I'm not sure whats going on. I am going to try and get the vet thats not taking patients to look at her. It would be so useful to get a professional opinion.

Thank you again for your help and concern.

I just wanted to let everybody know I got an appointment with an avian vet tomorrow morning. I am so relieved.

This is so hard for me to write but the vet appointment did not go well. It seems that her chances of ever walking were very slim and if she ever were to walk it would be with difficulty and because of this she could never be with other chickens because she ran the risk of being severely injured if not killed. She would be the only bantam in my flock. I decided it was not humane to keep her going. She was clearly unhappy being handled so much and I did not think it was fair to keep her alive and suffering for a future where she could not even be outside with her crew in a flock. It was one of the hardest decisions I think I have ever had to make. Thank you everyone for all your help in this. I feel so let down. She is outside buried in my garden and will be with my flock in spirit.

Back
Top Bottom