Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have Silkie eggs coming from e-bay this week too. They're my first Silkies and my first time attempting to hatch. I hope I have a positive experience!

Cool! Have you read the articles about hatching shipped eggs? Incubating them upright and not turning them for the first several days, etc. What kind of incubator do you have?

So the post office had lost my package of eggs but they finally arrived this morning!! They were in transit for 4 days! Not happy about that. But the seller did a great job packing them and none were cracked or broken. I will candle tonight when it's dark and write down my observations for each air cell.
Colors included:
6: blue roo over splash hen
4:paint
2:porcelain
1:black
1:partridge
I will be setting at 9 pm tonight. I'm so excited! My last hatch of the year. I wish everyone happy & healthy hatches!

Awesome!!
wee.gif
Mine are mystery eggs!

Cool!  Have you read the articles about hatching shipped eggs?  Incubating them upright and not turning them for the first several days, etc.  What kind of incubator do you have?

I have read so many different things! I have the still-air Little Giant, so from what people have told me, I need to instal a fan and turner before the eggs get here too! Where's the article about shipped eggs? I need all the help I can get. I have 5 Silkie bantam eggs and 5 Sermara eggs.

I have read so many different things! I have the still-air Little Giant, so from what people have told me, I need to instal a fan and turner before the eggs get here too! Where's the article about shipped eggs? I need all the help I can get. I have 5 Silkie bantam eggs and 5 Sermara eggs.

I'll try to find the article(s) for you, but they basically say to cut down the sides of an egg carton and put your eggs fat end up in and leave them for up to 5 - 7 days without moving them. This gives the embryo a chance to start developing. Then you start tilting them from side to side in the carton, a few times a day. You can install a fan if you want. I use old computer fans wired to an old phone charger... cheap and easy. You don't need an egg turner if you will at least be able to tilt them a couple times a day. Serama eggs and some Silkie eggs are rather small for the egg turners anyway. I incubate mine at 35% humidity but this can vary by eggs and location. I know all the details are a lot to take in but try to relax and enjoy it!

@RubyNala97 hatches more shipped eggs than I do so please let me know if I missed something.

Last edited:
I'll try to find the article(s) for you, but they basically say to cut down the sides of an egg carton and put your eggs fat end up in and leave them for  up to 5 - 7 days without moving them.  This gives the embryo a chance to start developing.   Then you start tilting them from side to side in the carton, a few times a day.   You can install a fan if you want.  I use old computer fans wired to an old phone charger... cheap and easy.  You don't need an egg turner if you will at least be able to tilt them a couple times a day.    Serama eggs and some Silkie eggs are rather small for the egg turners anyway. I incubate mine at 35% humidity but this can vary by eggs and location.   I know all the details are a lot to take in but try to relax and enjoy it!

@RubyNala97
hatches more shipped eggs than I do so please let me know if I missed something.

I can do that! Thank you so much!

I think I read that article, or one very similar to it, and it was VERY helpful. I think it saved my eggs lives. All of them are fertile and doing well.

I'll try to find the article(s) for you, but they basically say to cut down the sides of an egg carton and put your eggs fat end up in and leave them for up to 5 - 7 days without moving them. This gives the embryo a chance to start developing. Then you start tilting them from side to side in the carton, a few times a day. You can install a fan if you want. I use old computer fans wired to an old phone charger... cheap and easy. You don't need an egg turner if you will at least be able to tilt them a couple times a day. Serama eggs and some Silkie eggs are rather small for the egg turners anyway. I incubate mine at 35% humidity but this can vary by eggs and location. I know all the details are a lot to take in but try to relax and enjoy it!

@RubyNala97 hatches more shipped eggs than I do so please let me know if I missed something.

I have been hatching shipped eggs for about 7 years and what I do is I let the eggs sit straight up for 12 hours before I put them in the incubator, and then when they go in the incubator I tilt them at an angle and continue turning them. I think it's dangerous to go more than one day without turning at all because the lack of oxygen suffocates them. Turning the eggs between days 2 and 7 is actually crucial, do not let them sit! As incubation goes on past the first week turning becomes less crucial.

With shipped eggs I usually don't do dry incubation because shipped eggs are already 3-4 days old, so I usually keep it around 40% and 50%. But this is just what's worked for me. Lots of people have their own way of incubating shipped eggs!

My advice is to get info from several sources and find the medium. Also trial and error works!

Last edited:

That's the one! :thumbsup

I have been hatching shipped eggs for about 7 years and what I do is I let the eggs sit straight up for 12 hours before I put them in the incubator, and then when they go in the incubator I tilt them at an angle and continue turning them. I think it's dangerous to go more than one day without turning at all because the lack of oxygen suffocates them. Turning the eggs between days 2 and 7 is actually crucial, do not let them sit! As incubation goes on past the first week turning becomes less crucial. 

With shipped eggs I usually don't do dry incubation because shipped eggs are already 3-4 days old, so I usually keep it around 40% and 50%. But this is just what's worked for me. Lots of people have their own way of incubating shipped eggs!

My advice is to get info from several sources and find the medium. Also trial and error works!

It's true, you have to find what works for you. We all have the same goal!:) when I first did shipped eggs I had more early deaths from tilting and turning to early. I wait now and that seems to be working for me. I can't wait to candle tonight and see how the air cells look. A couple were whacked out! But I'll know better when it's dark and I can really see. What colors were you hatching again?

It is true, we do all have our own way. I think that is what is so hard when you are new. You are trying to do everything right and everyone tells you different things. I think that is just where people have to go with there own gut and know that with experience they will develop their own way.

Back
Top Bottom