Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
its fan forced...sounds like an oven! i'm going to try to rig something up to stop the light and heat going directly on the eggs. Currently on Day 11, with terrible air cells. i should try taking a few pics and posting. 2 eggs havent got too bad air cells, but the contents are really jiggly. if you move the egg at all the contents all move like jelly. I am thinking to stop tilting them at Day13 as AmyLynn does.

You and your Mum must have seen some wonder recoveries, very rewarding and sad at times I guess.

Thanks again

Lea

That sounds like a good plan. What day did you start turning them on? I'm trying to remember, did they go under a broody too? I have 11 developing and the same thing! Horrible shapes and when I slowly tilt the egg, the air cells slosh around. I can see fluid in them. Today is day 6 and I haven't started tilting them yet. A few seem to have stabilized. I'm waiting until tomorrow to candle and then start tilting. Yes, Amy stopped at day 14 and had 100% hatch! It will be interesting to see the outcome of both mine & yours! I'm crossing my fingers for both of us!

I know right i love barred rocks and silkies and when I see a cuckoo silkie it's like aww mine
1f606.png

: ) I have a Dominique hen and have always loved her barring. I don't know what it is about barring that I just love.... I am really drawn to it. I have some cuckoo Seramas... black and white and brown and white. Last summer I hatched some peafowl and they have cool barring too.

Day 7... time goes so slowly when incubating! I think I have a quitter but I kept it in for now. A few of the bigger eggs are loosing moisture slowly... not sure if I should do something about it. I had humidity at 30% which is working for most of the eggs.

I
: )  I have a Dominique hen and have always loved her barring.  I don't know what it is about barring that I just love.... I am really drawn to it.   I have some cuckoo Seramas... black and white and brown and white. Last summer I hatched some peafowl and they have cool barring too.
if you don't mind me asking how big are seramas I've never owned one myself and was wandering

Day 7... time goes so slowly when incubating!  I think I have a quitter but I kept it in for now.  A few of the bigger eggs are loosing moisture slowly... not sure if I should do something about it.  I had humidity at 30% which is working for most of the eggs.
Really it's been going by fast for me and it's my first time

Day 7... time goes so slowly when incubating!  I think I have a quitter but I kept it in for now.  A few of the bigger eggs are loosing moisture slowly... not sure if I should do something about it.  I had humidity at 30% which is working for most of the eggs.

I think it's going by pretty fast too, as a previous poster said. It usually starts to slow down for me after the second week and then the last week takes forever!! One quitter is not bad. I'm going to candle tonight and start tilting, as it is day 7 for me too!! :) I think you should keep at a humidity that is good for the majority of the eggs. The 2 that are loosing quicker should be ok. What incubator do you have?
And my peas are getting huge! I haven't given them back yet but I plan on doing it soon. I just can't keep them in the house anymore. I found out that I have 2 boys and a girl!

I think it's going by pretty fast too, as a previous poster said. It usually starts to slow down for me after the second week and then the last week takes forever!! One quitter is not bad. I'm going to candle tonight and start tilting, as it is day 7 for me too!!
smile.png
I think you should keep at a humidity that is good for the majority of the eggs. The 2 that are loosing quicker should be ok. What incubator do you have?
And my peas are getting huge! I haven't given them back yet but I plan on doing it soon. I just can't keep them in the house anymore. I found out that I have 2 boys and a girl!

I am just so excited to see what little chicks are going to pop out... I can't wait!! I am still hoping for a showgirl! I did get black, lavender and paint already. I was just thinking about putting some of those bigger eggs in another incubator if I can get the humidity down in one of them. I have homemade incubators with fans and thermostats.

Glad the peas are doing well... they are such cool birds!

I am just so excited to see what little chicks are going to pop out... I can't wait!!   I am still hoping for a showgirl!  I did get black, lavender and paint already.  I was just thinking about putting some of those bigger eggs in another incubator if I can get the humidity down in one of them.  I have homemade incubators with fans and thermostats.

Glad the peas are doing well... they are such cool birds!

I know! Me too. I didn't know you have paint. That's what I want. I have 4 or 5 paint eggs in now. And I really want partridge & porcelain but I only have one egg of each so I'm really hoping they hatch!
That sounds good about moving those eggs. I didn't realize you had more then one incubator. Great idea!

I know! Me too. I didn't know you have paint. That's what I want. I have 4 or 5 paint eggs in now. And I really want partridge & porcelain but I only have one egg of each so I'm really hoping they hatch!
That sounds good about moving those eggs. I didn't realize you had more then one incubator. Great idea!

The last 2 chicks I hatched are paint, the second one's spots are just starting to show up! I am hoping I have a porcelain chick too. I have a couple light chicks from my second hatch that I will have to see how they feather out.

I have 4 incubators ; ) I turned off my cabinet though. It has been humid here, so I don't know if I can get humidity much below 28 or 30% I may just not worry about them and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom