Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I came home with new batteries and wow my flashlight is bright!! It is a bit too bright. I have at least one internal pip and a few others working on it. Egg #8 peeped back at me!

I think this hatch has come to an end.

Rose has fluffed up and is active (but also very sleepy!) and still no sign from the other eggs. I usually expect them all to hatch around the same time since they were set together.

I decided to help one out. When I took it out I could feel the heat leaving it really fast and when I opened it they hadn't even internally pipped yet, and already dead. I candled the rest and none of them look internally pipped. I wonder how this happened to SO MANY of my eggs. The air cells looked large enough to me, and some of them didn't even have weird shapes. I wonder why they had trouble finding it.

Was the humidity too high? I kept it around 50%-65% because I noticed with my shipped eggs that they loose weight way too fast.
Besides, right before lockdown their aircells looked on the weird side but still large.

In the past I've successfully helped chicks who have already pipped internally, but in my experience it's impossible to help a chick who hasn't found the air cell yet. I'm leaving these eggs in there even though they all look stiff now.

I'm really tempted to go to a feed store and get 2 or 3 chicks to keep Rose company. I read that single chicks are loud and very lonely.

This has been a disappointing hatch, but at least I have Rose

Anyone in the Orange County CA area willing to give a few pals for Rose?
roll.png

Rose is adorable! That is one special silkie! I wish I was closer so I could give her a friend : )

Ruby,

you must have an amazing candler to see the veins so well, I cant. Dont give up on your 2....but if you are sure the veins have receded...maybe, start removing shell and look for the pip that couldnt get thru the external shell. As long as you can keep them moist you can then let them do the rest if you think thats best. I'm nervous suggesting this because its what i choose to do and maybe I'm wrong, but on the other hand I'm thinking of those chicks that might not have any other possibility of hatching and so cant help but say what i feel. You are at day 21 now aren't you?

You are far more experienced than me, so do what you instinctively feel is right....thinking of you and griffin nest.

Hey! I'm actually still on day 19 for a couple more hours. I locked down 6 viable eggs. Haven't opened the incubator to check them but I have a plastic dome and I can candle a little right through the plastic. I can't see details but I can see the air cells. They haven't drawn down yet. They are getting a little bigger but I don't think I'll have pips until tomorrow night. Looks like they got a little delayed from moving them during the power outage. I know tomorrow I will be starring at them all day! The 2 eggs that look dead, are dead. I'm 99% sure. I put them in a seperate incubator with the quail eggs. I candled again today and I truly believe those 2 are gone. I will open them up on Friday. Thanks for thinking of me. I still have 24+ hrs before I hit day 21!! Here's some pics of those 2 dead eggs:

I came home with new batteries and wow my flashlight is bright!! It is a bit too bright. I have at least one internal pip and a few others working on it. Egg #8 peeped back at me!
I told ya!! I'm am sooo happy and excited for you!! Please keep posting updates!! :celebrate
I think this hatch has come to an end. Rose has fluffed up and is active (but also very sleepy!) and still no sign from the other eggs. I usually expect them all to hatch around the same time since they were set together. I decided to help one out. When I took it out I could feel the heat leaving it really fast and when I opened it they hadn't even internally pipped yet, and already dead. I candled the rest and none of them look internally pipped. I wonder how this happened to SO MANY of my eggs. The air cells looked large enough to me, and some of them didn't even have weird shapes. I wonder why they had trouble finding it. Was the humidity too high? I kept it around 50%-65% because I noticed with my shipped eggs that they loose weight way too fast. Besides, right before lockdown their aircells looked on the weird side but still large. In the past I've successfully helped chicks who have already pipped internally, but in my experience it's impossible to help a chick who hasn't found the air cell yet. I'm leaving these eggs in there even though they all look stiff now. I'm really tempted to go to a feed store and get 2 or 3 chicks to keep Rose company. I read that single chicks are loud and very lonely. This has been a disappointing hatch, but at least I have Rose Anyone in the Orange County CA area willing to give a few pals for Rose? :rolleyes:
I'm so sorry you had such a bad hatch!! I know, I'm in the same boat and just trying to keep a little hope! But the chick you did get is a strong fighter!! She's adorable. I'm in NY or I would definitely send her a buddy If I could!

Rose is indeed adorable. Hope you can find her a friend. Mother nature is cruel, hope someone more experienced can help you track down a cause for this strange hatch. Fingers crossed at least 1 more can get going to give Rose a companion

Hey! I'm actually still on day 19 for a couple more hours. I locked down 6 viable eggs. Haven't opened the incubator to check them but I have a plastic dome and I can candle a little right through the plastic. I can't see details but I can see the air cells. They haven't drawn down yet. They are getting a little bigger but I don't think I'll have pips until tomorrow night. Looks like they got a little delayed from moving them during the power outage. I know tomorrow I will be starring at them all day! The 2 eggs that look dead, are dead. I'm 99% sure. I put them in a seperate incubator with the quail eggs. I candled again today and I truly believe those 2 are gone. I will open them up on Friday. Thanks for thinking of me. I still have 24+ hrs before I hit day 21!! Here's some pics of those 2 dead eggs:

Oh I'm sorry...I cant keep up with so many stories! I thought you locked down on Monday. That plastic dome would be just too tempting.....
Sadly those 2 do look like they are limp in the bottom of the shell. Whoever said from day 18 is agony was so right....even when they aren't your eggs!
I wonder if some chicks die without pipping because they block their own blood supply in the umbilical cord???

So far none of the eggs still show any signs of making it, but Rose is getting stronger!
I taught her how to eat and drink, and she is very active.

I wanted her to have a "friend" so I put a realistic looking chick toy inside the brooder with her to keep her company! She treats it like another chick, she pecks its beak, she grooms it, and she sleeps next to it. It's very cute, and I'm happy she doesn't feel too alone.

@Griffin Nest
My first hatch was shipped silkies and I had quite a few eggs that fully developed absorbed the yolk eveb but never internally or externally pipped idk why. Upon egg topsy only one egg contained a visually flawed chick a crossbeak. Not even a terrible one maybe mild to moderate.

So far none of the eggs still show any signs of making it, but Rose is getting stronger! I taught her how to eat and drink, and she is very active. I wanted her to have a "friend" so I put a realistic looking chick toy inside the brooder with her to keep her company! She treats it like another chick, she pecks its beak, she grooms it, and she sleeps next to it. It's very cute, and I'm happy she doesn't feel too alone.
Where did you find that toy chick?? That is beyond perfect!! I know a lot of people that end up with lone chicks, that would love that little fake one you have!

Back
Top Bottom