Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
it feels horrid because you cant tell whats happening, but if the blood vessels aren't bleeding then the yolk should be absorbed, I THINK the only problem would be the chick doesn't absorb all the blood from the vessels. The first time mine bleed, it was red and it spread out, at the end I could see the vessels were small and there was just pink that stayed around the membrane edge.
I hope bub sleeps for you. Youre an amazing mum with 3 and all these chicks

I read that Silkies were at some point crossed with Polish chickens for their vaulted skull. I have never hatched Polish chicks so I don't know what they look like.

Thanks for the answer. I'll look into that.
smile.png

Hi Gitabooks,
thank you its a family game coming up with names.
forgive me but I have forgotten what you are up to, i think you had a hatch recently?
keeping up with the thread is beyond my memory!

I ordered more silkie eggs!! I'll be setting again next week after this total bust, I couldn't end the summer on this kind of note!
I am sorry... :hugs When they are positioned with the beak down by the yolk, they almost never make it : (
I really hate to try to help when they haven't internally pipped! I just get nervous and my stomach turns inside out. I think if I was calmer about it, I might have better luck! The beak was down toward the pointy end. And the chick had a major vaulted skull. I can post a pic but it's already gone in the pic. I don't want to upset anyone and can't figure out that spolier! How are your chicks? Is the hatch over? What's your numbers?
I love their names!! They are adorable!! Great job!!

I ordered more silkie eggs!! I'll be setting again next week after this total bust, I couldn't end the summer on this kind of note!
I really hate to try to help when they haven't internally pipped! I just get nervous and my stomach turns inside out. I think if I was calmer about it, I might have better luck! The beak was down toward the pointy end. And the chick had a major vaulted skull. I can post a pic but it's already gone in the pic. I don't want to upset anyone and can't figure out that spolier! How are your chicks? Is the hatch over? What's your numbers?
I love their names!! They are adorable!! Great job!!

More eggs.. yay... that is happy news!

I have hatched a lot of seramas and they notoriously need help hatching so I have gotten quite good at it. I think the key is to not open much of the shell, just the air cell and if they can breathe then they might make it but opening the shell too much lessens their chances. I lost one overnight but I would have been shocked of that one survived. I have 9 chicks, two still in their half shell in the hatcher... 7 more in another bator right now with one turkey chick till their brooder is ready. I got 4 showgirls... they are hilarious. I was really hoping for one, I never imagined 4!! I can't really tell what colors they are yet, mostly dark colors. I put one showgirl in the other incubator last night and I was afraid it had wry neck because it kept flipping over to sleep on its back. It is fine today, up and walking, just a goofy little thing.

Back
Top Bottom