Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Here are a few in the brooder, they try to get under the turkey. The last two just made it out of their eggs : )

You've done a great job! Want to do another hatch back to back, so we can hatch together again?
wink.png
I love the poult! Need to see pics of the show girls!!

Thanks, they are all doing well today. No one is really upright for long though so it is hard to see the naked necks : ) I don't know if I should hatch more eggs... I am at maximum capacity!! I ran out of brooder space so I had to get creative and move some birds around today. My 2 week old turkey poults are still outside today.

If this thread keeps going though, I think the name should be changed... it sort of became a sad prophecy.

I ordered more silkie eggs!! I'll be setting again next week after this total bust, I couldn't end the summer on this kind of note!
I really hate to try to help when they haven't internally pipped! I just get nervous and my stomach turns inside out. I think if I was calmer about it, I might have better luck! The beak was down toward the pointy end. And the chick had a major vaulted skull. I can post a pic but it's already gone in the pic. I don't want to upset anyone and can't figure out that spolier! How are your chicks? Is the hatch over? What's your numbers?
I love their names!! They are adorable!! Great job!!

Ruby,
I'm sorry when i got your post lastnight I didn't know what to say, I just shut down the computer, felt so bad and nothing seemed like the right thing to say.
Those vaulted heads have to make hatching more difficult.
So So happy to see you are going again, wanted to suggest it but it seemed the wrong thing to say in case it was too late in the season.
I have 12 eggs, thou 1 looking like its stopped they are at day 6, definitely my last, 8 from red partridges 3 from greys. all local, no bad aircells.
Scarlet had the shoulders towards the pointy end? is that the wrong way?
Maybe having all the movement so soon to lockdown messed up their positioning. Poor little things. Are you getting more porcelain?

Here's to a happy end incubation.

Thanks, they are all doing well today. No one is really upright for long though so it is hard to see the naked necks : ) I don't know if I should hatch more eggs... I am at maximum capacity!! I ran out of brooder space so I had to get creative and move some birds around today. My 2 week old turkey poults are still outside today.

If this thread keeps going though, I think the name should be changed... it sort of became a sad prophecy.

They are gorgeous, really puff balls.
Can we change the name...or all move to a new thread, no offense to gitabooks who began this on, just as darkbluespace suggests no more sad news would be great.
What makes Seramas hard to hatch?

Ruby,
I'm sorry when i got your post lastnight I didn't know what to say, I just shut down the computer, felt so bad and nothing seemed like the right thing to say.
Those vaulted heads have to make hatching more difficult.
So So happy to see you are going again, wanted to suggest it but it seemed the wrong thing to say in case it was too late in the season.
I have 12 eggs, thou 1 looking like its stopped they are at day 6, definitely my last, 8 from red partridges 3 from greys. all local, no bad aircells.
Scarlet had the shoulders towards the pointy end? is that the wrong way?
Maybe having all the movement so soon to lockdown messed up their positioning. Poor little things. Are you getting more porcelain?

Here's to a happy end incubation.

Thank you! I'll post a pic if I can figure out the spoilers. Don't want to upset anyone. The beak was pointed down toward the pointy end. After it passed I went looking for it. I couldn't see it because it was down further then the air cell was. Maybe if I had opened the membrane and fished around for it, I could have saved it?? It was a really beautiful chick. I hate that none of them internally pipped and all died!! What a shame. I wanted paints but the breeder said she just sold the whole paint pen. So I'm getting porcelain, splash, and partridge. Not sure how many but I told her the whole story and she said she would send as many as she could collect all weekend. That last hatch was my worst hatch ever!!! Never lost the whole lot!! I agree, we should start a new silkie hatching thread! I'm glad you got local eggs!! I can't wait to see your partridge. I remember now, you telling me about those eggs. Good luck for lots of babies!!!

Hi Gitabooks,
thank you its a family game coming up with names.
forgive me but I have forgotten what you are up to, i think you had a hatch recently?
keeping up with the thread is beyond my memory!

Sorry for the late response, the internet was down.

A couple weeks ago I hatched out a pure silkie, and in the incubator right now I have four silkie mix eggs.

I can't even imagine trying to remember everything on the thread, so I understand.
smile.png

Its a ton of fun to follow the hatch-a-longs though!

Thank you! I'll post a pic if I can figure out the spoilers. Don't want to upset anyone. The beak was pointed down toward the pointy end. After it passed I went looking for it. I couldn't see it because it was down further then the air cell was. Maybe if I had opened the membrane and fished around for it, I could have saved it?? It was a really beautiful chick. I hate that none of them internally pipped and all died!! What a shame. I wanted paints but the breeder said she just sold the whole paint pen. So I'm getting porcelain, splash, and partridge. Not sure how many but I told her the whole story and she said she would send as many as she could collect all weekend. That last hatch was my worst hatch ever!!! Never lost the whole lot!! I agree, we should start a new silkie hatching thread! I'm glad you got local eggs!! I can't wait to see your partridge. I remember now, you telling me about those eggs. Good luck for lots of babies!!!
I think you did all that you could, I don't think that chick could have been saved. Fishing around for the head will kill them pretty quickly. Just a total bummer!

I am excited for your new eggs though. I think porcelain is so pretty. Splash and Partridge are cool too. One of my lighter Silkies from my second hatch has a really pretty color coming in so I am wondering if she is porcelain... I'll post a photo but I'm not sure if you can see the coloring in it.

Back
Top Bottom