Silkie Hen Feathers Strangulated Chick Leg - Unsure How to Proceed

Just an update on this guy — he is doing SO well. His foot fell off, but he has the majority of his leg. I’ve been keeping it wrapped while the joint, which is right where he lost it, heals. He gets around better and better every day, once he’s full grown I want to look into some prosthetics for him (I say he, but I’m not sure yet). Such a spirited little thing. Amazed he pulled through so well.

Thank you for all your help! So thankful things turned out the way they did.

So how’s the little girl/guy doing? It’s been so heartwarming to see the positive progress with such a severe injury. My beloved rooster Albert lost a toe and I was freaked out! I can’t imagine a baby chick loosing a whole foot or leg. Well done!😍👍🏻

So how’s the little girl/guy doing? It’s been so heartwarming to see the positive progress with such a severe injury. My beloved rooster Albert lost a toe and I was freaked out! I can’t imagine a baby chick loosing a whole foot or leg. Well done!😍👍🏻
They're great! Still difficult to tell if they're male or female, but I'm learning towards male (darn!), so I've been referring to them as a 'he'. He will have a home here either way :)

He is VERY small compared to all of the other chickens he was hatched with, but is otherwise thriving. I was waiting until he was full grown to measure him for a prosthetic but I think I should go ahead and do it because of how slowly he is growing. He's finally learning to use his wing as a crutch and hop around rather than just sort of scooting, so thats been rewarding to see as I'm sure its more comfortable and functional. I'll snap some pictures while I'm measuring, he's quite a looker!

Back
Top Bottom