Silkie Hen Messy Vent Feathers

Clappmeg

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
Hi guys,
I'm attaching photo(s) of my silkie hens butt feathers. I gave her a bath 3-4 weeks ago since she had so much poop built up on her feathers and now it looks yucky again. This time almost stringy looking. All my chickens have been dewormed and treated for mites about 2 months ago. What could be causing this? She is the only one that is having this issue.
IMG_20200527_205733.jpg

It is hard to know exactly. She could be drinking a lot of water which can make the droppings runny, and getting stuck on feathers. I would clean her up, trim any excess fluff back there, look for any raw skin or inflammation around the vent. Vent gleet, a fungal infection may be possible, but it just might be diet or runny stools. My hens all eat the same foods, but I see some runny ones or watery ones, and all sorts of droppings. Using probiotics in the diet if they are not already in her food may help. The main thing is if she is acting okay, alert, and eating and drinking.

It is hard to know exactly. She could be drinking a lot of water which can make the droppings runny, and getting stuck on feathers. I would clean her up, trim any excess fluff back there, look for any raw skin or inflammation around the vent. Vent gleet, a fungal infection may be possible, but it just might be diet or runny stools. My hens all eat the same foods, but I see some runny ones or watery ones, and all sorts of droppings. Using probiotics in the diet if they are not already in her food may help. The main thing is if she is acting okay, alert, and eating and drinking.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom