Silkie hen won't eat, poor balance, can't poop URGANT!!

She hasn't died quite yet, as far as I know. I have a feeling she will when I come home. Thank you for the kind words, this is really hard. She is my favorite and first ever silkie, and she has great genes and has only produced one white chick. So it's just a cruddy situation. Do labs that do necrotopsys return the bodies afterwards? I like to bury my dead birds.

I don't think there is much left to bury after the lab guys get through dismantling the corpse. I did a necropsy with a nurse friend last month, and it didn't look much like a chicken any longer after we were finished.

But if you ask them to be careful, I bet they'd oblige. All her innards would be gone, though.

Alright, thank you. I'll consider doing a necrotopsy, because I don't want this to happen again. It's just going to be hard letting them open up my sweet little baby, but it's for the good of my flock.

Also, someone mentioned in the beginning to give fresh orange juice. I don't want to put anyone down but you shouldn't feed citrus to birds, especially anything acidic when they have watery poo. I don't feed citrus to my birds ever. Have been told by my vet that it's not good for them.

Murphy passed away tonight, today was her birthday. She turned one year old. We tried everything. I gave her an epsom salt bath because I heard it could help. After I took her out and dried her off, she seized up and died. I feel so heartbroken and I cried for a very long time. Thank you all for your efforts to help, I really appreciate it. She was my best silkie hen from a good bloodline and a fantastic personality. She will be deeply missed.

I had someone I know who is very experienced and knowledgeable about birds and chickens open her up for me and take a look around. So far what they are saying is her gizzard was impacted. It's knotted up with long grass. I feel terrible for giving her long grass. I killed my chicken.

He is also telling me that she also ingested plastic, but it didn't look like enough to kill her.

Back
Top Bottom