Silkie Holiday Hatch-a-long

twin arrows, very exciting!!!
celebrate.gif

jorey, that is awesome to have 11 moving and shaking! I am hoping for ANY, this being my first hatch also, am just dying for day 7 to come so I can see who's in there and hoping I have some viable!!!
barnie.gif
good things come to those who wait right? lol just must remind myself this.... at this point i'll be happy with any!!
We were too eggcited so we candled on I think Day 5, we tried justifying it, saying, hey the mamma hen would have to get up once in a while...haha! But when it got down to the last 4 days, oh wow, we were checking the incubator every couple of hours, then the hatching started and we were increasing humidity. It was like waiting for a loved one in labor! We couldn't quite get the humidity up in the Farm Innovator 4400 with just adding in 5 cc of water through a straw into the water port areas so we opened the incubator and put in 1/2 of a sponge in a cup with distilled water. It did help to keep up the humidity. We tried to wait to really get the humidity up until we saw a crack in a shell. We did have it around 50% starting on day 18 and it dropped once, before the sponge was added, down to 45% temporarily. We hatched 3, it would have been 4 if we had intervened, out of 7 viable hatchlings so we are very happy. I hope your hatch goes well!
highfive.gif

thanks "why do birds" I am thinking I might not last until day 7 too.....
celebrate.gif
I have next wednesday (day 7) off of work. EGGCITING!! so if nothing pans out on day 5 I have all day on the 7th day!

tomorrow morning I start "turning"..... am slightly nervous they are all gonna fall out and crack... I have the brinsea octagon eco, manual turn. so I put it on one of it's "octagon sides".... I did a test run and seemed ok.... guess I shall find out, will be a lot of crying faces on my post if something happens. lol

Today is day 5 for me, and I just had to candle. Out of my 12 eggs, 8 are for sure developing, 2 are porous and look clear but I haven't tossed them and the other 2 looked clear as well. I'll likely pitch them on day 10 when I candle again.

At least my rooster is doing his job, I wasn't sure about that guy! Good luck everyone
1f60a.png

That's how I was with my first hatch last month. I started with 9 duck eggs and ended up hatching 4 ducklings. I would have had 5 but I lost one during the hatching process. I was so happy that I got almost 50%! I have heard of people getting 0% their first time so I too would have been happy with one! This is only my second hatch so I am just as anxious and excited as last time.

Hi- I have 2 young silkie hens and 1 rooster (along with 30 other hens in another coop). My silkies just started laying early last week ( at least one is not sure if it is both). I am getting one egg every other day.
The Rooster has been very active the last few weeks.
smile.png

Questions:

Is it possible to hatch these early eggs?

If so- how do I 'keep' them until I have enough to start hatching?

Thanks for any help. I am looking forward to raising silkies this spring.

Aren't they cute?

J

Hi- I have 2 young silkie hens and 1 rooster (along with 30 other hens in another coop). My silkies just started laying early last week ( at least one is not sure if it is both). I am getting one egg every other day. The Rooster has been very active the last few weeks.:) Questions: Is it possible to hatch these early eggs? If so- how do I 'keep' them until I have enough to start hatching? Thanks for any help. I am looking forward to raising silkies this spring. Aren't they cute? J
Store them in egg cartons fat end up somewhere around 65-70 degrees and relatively humid. I have heard that if stored correctly you can store them as long as 2-3 weeks but most people prefer to stay within a week. There is no harm in trying to incubate them. If you wanted to check fertility before taking up incubator space I would crack a couple open to see if they are fertile. Then just eat them so they don't go to waste :)

Hi- I have 2 young silkie hens and 1 rooster (along with 30 other hens in another coop). My silkies just started laying early last week ( at least one is not sure if it is both). I am getting one egg every other day.
The Rooster has been very active the last few weeks.
smile.png

Questions:

Is it possible to hatch these early eggs?

If so- how do I 'keep' them until I have enough to start hatching?

Thanks for any help. I am looking forward to raising silkies this spring.

Aren't they cute?

J

They are beautiful! Our 3 are almost 3 weeks, gorgeous. Yours are gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom