SILKIE NOT LAYING EGGS AND IM PANICKING URGENT HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coolmind1999, Aug 17, 2013.

1. coolmind1999

coolmind1999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    well I have a silkie 9 month old who layed 13 eggs and then stopped we thought she was taking a break I incubated 4 eggs and eat the rest :p little bantam sunny side ups
    After a week I panicked and check for any sign of illness or broody ness
    She isn't ill nor broody now its almost over a month and she still isn't laying seems normal and least bothered
    She isn't losing feathers
    So what is going on?

2. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    hi, I have a couple hens who go thru this weird egg laying period. I don't think they've gone a whole month tho. if you can isolate her maybe and give her extra treats I would suggest that. my hens love dry oats and that always seems to get them out of their funk.
    best of luck! keep us updated :)
    <3 kelsey

3. coolmind1999

Apr 4, 2013
    won't the roo get lonely? she seems fine sits in lap and pecks my cheek while I pet her :) doesn't seem depressed :) if I seperate her will her eggs be fertile? I intend on hatching them

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    if you keep her isolated for a little while (a couple days to a week maybe) and give her some alone time without any stress, that may get her laying. how many chickens do you have in your coop? over crowding can cause stress which can lead to less egg laying.
    if she starts laying again you can move her back with the other chickens. roosters can sometimes stress hens out so maybe try this. :)
    <3 kelsey

5. coolmind1999

Apr 4, 2013
    2 rooster one hen

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Oh the poor little hen! Stress could very well be to blame. Most recommend one rooster to seven hens so two to one is going to leave her well over mated.

She isn't by any chance also spending a lot of time in the nest box is she?

7. coolmind1999

Apr 4, 2013
    No totally normal I put her in a different coop and she kept making that sound was so loud and rooster was repling by making the sound he makes when the cat comes so I thought they were missing each other and I put um together and they were fine then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by