Silkie questions

Thehyerlaw

Hatching
Feb 12, 2021
Texas
Hello everyone I am new here. I have an established flock and I had some questions about adding in new chickens. I just acquired 2 silkie pullets one is 2 and a half months old and one is 4 months old. The younger one is scared of everything and the older one seems so lethargic and not caring even when she gets beaten up. Also I have a silkie rooster that can’t seem to mate with any of my chickens and stopped trying. I’m just looking for some tips on maybe to help them thank you

Hello everyone I am new here. I have an established flock and I had some questions about adding in new chickens. I just acquired 2 silkie pullets one is 2 and a half months old and one is 4 months old. The younger one is scared of everything and the older one seems so lethargic and not caring even when she gets beaten up. Also I have a silkie rooster that can’t seem to mate with any of my chickens and stopped trying. I’m just looking for some tips on maybe to help them thank you
Put the rooster and two hens in the same cage and see if it won't mate.

I would wait until the younger silkie is around 4 months old to put with the flock and I would put wiring in between the flock and them so the flock can get used to them but not hurt them. With the rooster he might be getting picked on and the hens aren't letting him breed or you have too big of hens for him. Mine couldn't ever breed my orpingtons, wyandottes, and bigger marans.

I would wait until the younger silkie is around 4 months old to put with the flock and I would put wiring in between the flock and them so the flock can get used to them but not hurt them. With the rooster he might be getting picked on and the hens aren't letting him breed or you have too big of hens for him. Mine couldn't ever breed my orpingtons, wyandottes, and bigger marans.
My silkies can breed my Brahmas 🤣 . Mine figure out way when I'm pairing bantam silkie roosters with large Brahma hens.

I would first separate the two new silkie pullets and let them bond with each other. Once this has been established you can slowly introduce them to the flock. Can be difficult integrating silkies to an established flock of standard birds. You may need to be prepared to keep them separate.
Read up on integrating new birds into your flock in the threads. 😊

My first step would to Quarantine the Newbies if you acquired them older then 3 weeks. Especially the Lethargic chick.

Back
Top Bottom