SILKIE SICK ROO &HEN

Mkpage319

Hatching
Jun 20, 2023
Hello! :) I have a pair of Show Silkies about 8 mths old. They are very lethargic, coughing and snotingšŸ¤§. Won't open eyes all the way. I can feel how bad they feel. Started with Corvid 5 day treatment. Didn't help, picked up VetRx added to water for 5 days no corvid. Poor things are getting worse! Three other silkies are with them.... which was my original mistake. I didn't quarantine the new birds. What do I need to give them? I'm semi new to chickens. I've raised some from eggs some were bought. Havnt had this issue before and im so scared im going to loose my babies. They are kept indoors. No big change in temperature. Roo has stopped crowing. Been 2 weeks now.

I think they have a Respiratory Disease, adding some Garlic and Turmeric into their feed (they are just natural at home remedies.) Keep them in a warm quiet area where until fully recovered.

Reasons:

1. They are coughing

2. "Snoting" Runny nose

Questions

Have they stopped eating?

Do they have swelling around the eyes?

Runny poop?

Anything else you notice about them?

(Oh here is a site I have found to help out)
Chicken ā€œSnufflesā€

I think they have a Respiratory Disease, adding some Garlic and Turmeric into their feed (they are just natural at home remedies.) Keep them in a warm quiet area where until fully recovered.

Reasons:

1. They are coughing

2. "Snoting" Runny nose

Questions

Have they stopped eating?

Do they have swelling around the eyes?

Runny poop?

Anything else you notice about them?

(Oh here is a site I have found to help out)
Chicken ā€œSnufflesā€
Everything else seems normal. I will move them into a different room away from everyone and the other silkies. Thank you I will try your suggestion!

Hello! :) I have a pair of Show Silkies about 8 mths old. They are very lethargic, coughing and snotingšŸ¤§. Won't open eyes all the way. I can feel how bad they feel. Started with Corvid 5 day treatment. Didn't help, picked up VetRx added to water for 5 days no corvid. Poor things are getting worse! Three other silkies are with them.... which was my original mistake. I didn't quarantine the new birds. What do I need to give them? I'm semi new to chickens. I've raised some from eggs some were bought. Havnt had this issue before and im so scared im going to loose my babies. They are kept indoors. No big change in temperature. Roo has stopped crowing. Been 2 weeks now.
Do you have photos of them?
Sounds like you have respiratory disease, perhaps Mycoplasma, but hard to know.

"Corvid"? Do you mean Corid? This is used to treat Coccidiosis in poultry, it's not an antibiotic and will not treat any respiratory illnesses at all.

If you wish to treat with an antibiotic, you can use Tylosin or Tiamulin which are commonly used to treat Mycoplasma.

It would be wise to get testing to find out what you are dealing with. In the meantime, keep a closed flock. No selling of birds, chicks, hatching eggs or showing. Respiratory diseases are contagious and most all make birds carriers for life.

Here's some reading about diseases https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

Back
Top Bottom