Silkie thread!

Quote:
oh boy, a 50x50 barn....dangerous! I have one, but its taken over by DDs dairy goats, so no chance for expanding my silkie empire there.
lol.png

"Silkie Empire", I like the sound of that!
lol.png

I do to!

lets see 50x50 = ...2,500 / 3=...um lets see... 834!!!!!!!
ep.gif
ep.gif
th.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
lots and lots of silkies!

Thanks everyone, for the compliments on my little coop. It was a great find at an Amish Mud Sale in Lancaster,PA, last spring. I saw SonRise Silkies post pictures of her little coop with a loft and thought it was a great way to utilize space. I've since added another top loft section to the left, along the windows. They all wanted to be by the windows!
It's a basic 4X6 coop.

48259_coop40310.jpg

48259_coope.jpg

48259_coop40310loft.jpg

Since I have limited space, i use the coop for the hens and seperate pens and hutch's for roosters. I also use rabbit hutches as grow out pens and brooders.
Breeding pairs or trio's go into a outside tractor or a chain link dog kennel.

Quote:
In my experience they all have different personalities so some will be more willing to be handled than others. Some will come up to me and hurdle around my feet or snuggle under my rear when I squat down. I don't have any that fight over being handled but Ive had some young adults shipped in that really kicked a fit about it at first. I talk to mine and sing them silly little songs while doling out treats or when I'm doing food and water. Just keep it up with the ones you already have and make sure to stay consistent to the ones you are expecting and I'm sure they will warm up in no time.

Ok...I KNOW you will want pictures...(stupid stupid self can't find stupid camera...) but in general do silkie tail feathers come in faster on roos or hens? I have two 17 day old partridge silkies and one seems to me to have more tail feathers coming in than the other...??

Brendapa, your coop and chicks are beautiful. I really like that little buff sitting on the ramp.

Our silkies are only 4 weeks old so this might not be a good comparison, but they were never handled before we got them on Sunday and they've alread (grudgingly) consented to flea baths and eye medication. They still don't like it when I pick them up, but if I move toward them very slowly and try not to loom, and lift them up slowly holding their wings in place, they don't complain about it or struggle as much.

I dunno. It's a work in progress over here. I'd have liked to get younger chicks but it was too late in the year, and we thought we had a viable egg in the incubator and we felt sorry for the little guy (turns out we didn't
roll.png
).

Quote:
Actually, let me amend that somewhat...it seems that one also has more back feathers coming in than the other. One of them pretty much only has wing feathers and a few other pin feathers...the other one has alot more pin feathers..

Back
Top Bottom