Silkie, White crested black polish and 2 BO questions

Funnwonderland

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
Hey y'all. I have wanted chickens forever and my county ordinance just changed so my dreams could come true. I felt like I did a ton of research and was pretty prepared until I brought these babies home. I had chosen to go with the heating pad mock hen as a heat source but couldn't get the temp to stay consistent at the right temp so they are now under a 100 watt ceramic heat lamp that is mainting the perfect temp and it shows. I feel like things are going ok. We had some pasty butt with the silkie and polish but it has been cleaned and treated and seems to be fine now though I'm still checking daily. My questions are really about my silkie. She seems to be pretty bossy. If the others leave her to go eat or get a drink or just play she chirps loudly until at least one comes back. She doesn't climb with the others, she really just eats, drinks and goes back to the heat. My temps are good right at 90-93. Tonight at dinner a woman told me that I need to separate my silkie out or the others will kill her. I knew going in that she could be a target and would likely be low on the pecking order but chose my breeds for the more docile mannerisms. They got their first taste of egg yesterday and I noticed tonight that the silkie doesn't really eat any. She will come by my hand and quickly grab a bite then bee line it out of there and not come back. My polish is a bit of a bossy one, she likes to push the others over and she runs all over the place. My BOs stay together for the most part. When they huddle up all together they seem to circle the silkie. Should I be worried? What are signs I should be looking for? Sorry this was so long. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer
20180308_143801.jpg
20180308_144426.jpg
20180308_143446.jpg

Last edited:
Ive heard that sometimes silkies, polish, etc do get picked on because they can't see as well as other breeds such as BOs and overall sometimes chickens do not get along and they all have their own personality and unfortunately some can be a bit mean. Also, I don't think they should have already I wouldn't think, but chickens will establish a hierarchy type of manner. I'm sorry I wasn't much help, but I wish you the best of luck and I hope someone can help more than I could.

If they are raised together they should be fine. Now if you just tossed random adults together I’d be worried. Last year I raised 2 standard breeds with my silkies. They are easily 2x the size of the silkies. Never had a problem.

I’d watch for the others picking feathers from the silkie or attacking her. Good luck with your new babies.

Thank you! I am keeping a close eye. I don't think things are bad at this point. At this point they are all still sleeping and eating together.

Back
Top Bottom