Silkie with cramped feet???

Truebluealy

Hatching
Feb 18, 2020
My 6 month old silkie has a weird trait that her feet look she has a cramp, like her feet are wrapped around a roaring bar but she’s not on the bar anymore. She doesn’t stand very much and when she does she falls because her toes are in a ball. If I can get her out of the coop and onto grass alone she will open her toes and walk a little before finding a spot under a bush to sit. She even falls over and looks almost like she’s having a seizure trying to get up on these cramped feet. She’s always been on the sedentary side and people just told me she’s going to be a good layer and she was just getting ready. I’ve never had chickens before so please any advice will be helpful. I keep handfeeding her and giving her electrolytes to make sure she’s getting to the food and water. I’m putting poultry booster into her food. Anything else is should look for or so? Thank you in advance for any help.

My 6 month old silkie has a weird trait that her feet look she has a cramp, like her feet are wrapped around a roaring bar but she’s not on the bar anymore. She doesn’t stand very much and when she does she falls because her toes are in a ball. If I can get her out of the coop and onto grass alone she will open her toes and walk a little before finding a spot under a bush to sit. She even falls over and looks almost like she’s having a seizure trying to get up on these cramped feet. She’s always been on the sedentary side and people just told me she’s going to be a good layer and she was just getting ready. I’ve never had chickens before so please any advice will be helpful. I keep handfeeding her and giving her electrolytes to make sure she’s getting to the food and water. I’m putting poultry booster into her food. Anything else is should look for or so? Thank you in advance for any help.
Never mind. I just checked on her and she has died. Maybe it was some sort of virus or disease. 😢 RIP Becky Blue

Oh no. So sorry for your loss. When I first started reading, I suspected a riboflavin (vitamin B 2) deficiency, but it also could have been Mareks disease at her young age. Was she vaccinated? Could she get around well enough to get enough food and water? If you can refrigerate her body in a garbage bag, you can contact your state vet for a necropsy to look for Mareks. Here is a good list of state poultry vets to contact in your state:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom