Silkie with respiratory infection that's now better

makaylaL

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
I treated my silkie with batril for 10 days and she seems to have gotten better cause shes not showing signs of sickness anymore but could she be a carrier of it? Is there a way to tell if she will or not?

The only way to know is to have a vet do blood work and give you a diagnosis.

If it's Infectious Bronchitis, that goes away on its own.

If it's mycoplasma, she'll be a carrier for life and can/will infect other birds, even when she's not showing symptoms.

When dealing with respiratory issues, always get a diagnosis, if possible.

MrsB

I took ger to the vet and they said it was a respatory infection, the test to see if shes contagious is 145 and i dont know if its really worth it to pay that

I took ger to the vet and they said it was a respatory infection, the test to see if shes contagious is 145 and i dont know if its really worth it to pay that

I hear you on the cost-benefit analysis. Juggling the "worth" of a bird against the time, money, and effort required to save "just a chicken" is ultimately up to the flock owner. :)

Just know that she could have an impact on the rest of the flock if it is contagious. If you see anyone else developing her same symptoms in rapid succession, it may definitely be worth a trip just to see what it is. It could help you determine if you are able to sell/give away chicks or birds if you wanted to.

If that's important to you, get tested. If not, I'd err on the side of caution and maintain a 100% closed flock... Birds come in, no birds out.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom