Silkie wont open eyes

sue_m

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 6, 2009
I have a 3 month old silkie bantam which had the sneezes a few weeks ago and recovered fully. She is usually lively but today her eyes are shut. They are not crusty, inflamed and there is no discharge from them. She just looks like she is asleep. I lifted her out of the hen house to try and wake her a bit and she made no attempt to open her eyes and just bumped into things. She was perched. She wont eat or drink. Im in the uk, clocks changed Sunday. Any ideas?

does it feel thin? what does its poop look like? can you make it eat? check for lice and mites (on silkies I usually can find them around their eyes if they have them.

Maybe the "cold" it had is still bothering it or the meds did. Try getting some vitamins and some pro-biotic mash into it.

Pro-biotic mash is -1 part starter feed, some shredded apples, 1 part real live culture yogurt, and some buttermilk, mix until like oatmeal and feed it to him.

any more descriptions of what is going on will help also.

welcome by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks
yesterday she was fine, has been eating and drinking as normal until today. Have been adding Battles poultry drink to water to give all the hens a boost, She is wormed and has had the occasional live yogurt. Poop is normal most times but had a few yellow ones. Managed to give her half a grape just now and she opened one eye. The other eye is firmly shut and she is roosting. Should i bath her eyes? there is no discharge there. Iv not seen any mites and treat the house and their dust bath with mite and louse powder. I also clean the litter each day-just find it easier.

if the eyes are just closed I would not wash them. Maybe just some quiet time and good food will help support her. Sometimes this just happens with out any obvious reasons.

Back
Top Bottom