chicknbutt

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2021
My flock consists of a variety of different breeds. However in the past month I have lost 3 silkies with a 4th on the way. Its the same pattern of events. The bird will start to show signs of weakness and can't keep up with the rest of the flock yet tries like hell (slow movements, easily trampled, ect) this will go on for a few days and the next thing I know the bird has passed. Is it possible they are getting dominated by the other birds and being the last to eat? I have tried giving them haircuts and feeding them separately to see if that was the case but they still end up passing. My silkie rooster was the latest to pass and was at the bottom of my flocks pack (which was suprising as he was my only rooster) Any ideas as to what this could be? And why it's only affecting my silkies/showgirl?

Your idea is unlikely. Even silkies, if healthy, can fend for themselves. You have an unknown disease moving through your flock and it is time to find out what it is. You need to send or take the next one to die to your state poultry diagnostic lab for a necropsy. IMO, silkies aren't the most robust of breeds. But you need to find out what it is before you lose more.
You need to keep the carcass refrigerated till it gets to the lab or if it isn't too far, you can hand carry a sick bird there for humane euthanasia and testing.
What state are you in?

Your idea is unlikely. Even silkies, if healthy, can fend for themselves. You have an unknown disease moving through your flock and it is time to find out what it is. You need to send or take the next one to die to your state poultry diagnostic lab for a necropsy. IMO, silkies aren't the most robust of breeds. But you need to find out what it is before you lose more.
You need to keep the carcass refrigerated till it gets to the lab or if it isn't too far, you can hand carry a sick bird there for humane euthanasia and testing.
What state are you in?
I am located in Massachusetts. I will look into finding a lab that is nearby to do the testing. The part that confuses me the most is this has only happened to the silkies and none of my other breeds. I read silkies are more susceptible to Mareks Disease but they haven't shown signs of paralysis.

Back
Top Bottom