Silkies Not Growing Enough New Feathers?

Mar 8, 2019
AL, USA
Any ideas why my silkies are having trouble growing back their feathers? It's a been a consistent problem for two years of molts now - they will lose the old feathers but not grow enough new ones back and some of the ones they grow back aren't smooth and pretty like they should be. These hens were beautifully feathered in their first year. I just can't get them to look that good again!

I've been thinking about giving them some 30% game bird food when they're molting to boost their protein. The last time I had a hen molt properly she was actually broody and eating only 20% chick starter (my broods always get chick starter when they're setting to help them maintain good body condition) and she re-feathered beautifully and even got some new color (her poor chicks had to deal with the "pins and needles" for a while LOL).

Is the game bird food a good idea? I can supplement calcium for the laying hens.
Any other ideas?

Any ideas why my silkies are having trouble growing back their feathers? It's a been a consistent problem for two years of molts now - they will lose the old feathers but not grow enough new ones back and some of the ones they grow back aren't smooth and pretty like they should be. These hens were beautifully feathered in their first year. I just can't get them to look that good again!

I've been thinking about giving them some 30% game bird food when they're molting to boost their protein. The last time I had a hen molt properly she was actually broody and eating only 20% chick starter (my broods always get chick starter when they're setting to help them maintain good body condition) and she re-feathered beautifully and even got some new color (her poor chicks had to deal with the "pins and needles" for a while LOL).

Is the game bird food a good idea? I can supplement calcium for the laying hens.
Any other ideas?
Do you have pics of them/their feather problems? Extra protein doesn't hurt unless it causes obesity. You might be better off feeding them eggs or a can of tuna once a week during a molt rather than switching them over to constant high protein.

ETA: Have you checked for mites/lice? Those can cause feather problems, too.

If you can get some Nutrena Meat Bird 22% protein feed, it helps alot with molting hens that are going through hard molt.

If you can, get some pictures of your silkies to show us what's going on would be nice too?

Thanks guys. I'll look for a picture. Basically, they simply don't have the feathers. Not even feather shafts. Just bare skin, mostly on the back, tail, and wings.

I've been through the usual checklist: Rooster issues, mites, hens being picked on, etc., and I don't believe we're having any of these issues. Half of my flock is made up of younger birds (this year's chicks) and the other half is made up of birds two-to-three years old. It's just the older ones that are having issues with feather regrowth. The younger birds are looking great.

Aunt Angus Good point about the potential of weight gain. Right now my silkie flock is on the lean side and some of my hens are a little leaner than I'd like after being broody and eating less than normal (such dedicated little hens!). Since that's the case, I might switch them to the game bird food for just a few weeks to see if that helps them gain feathers and healthy weight. I could even mix it with their layer feed to manage the overall protein level they get. I can keep an eye on their weight easily.

I have had them on the Rooster Booster electrolyte and probiotic supplement through the summer and NutriDrench off and on for vitamin/mineral/amino acid supplementation. I feel like they do a little better when they're on the NutriDrench and I've wondered if the silkies have slightly different nutritional requirements than some of my other breeds. The hens are laying great right now (finding 3-4 eggs by the time I get to the coop in the morning) and I know that will take up extra nutrients.

Alright, here are the feeds I have to work with.
IMG_5673.jpg
IMG_5672.jpg

We've been raising turkeys and guineas on this.
IMG_5671.jpg

This is the hen who is having the most feather trouble right now. She has no tail to speak of, half as many new feathers on her back as she should (there are some new feathers fluffing out finally), messy feathers on her wings that didn't molt, and super short feathers on her head. Most of my other silkies molted better than her this time. She's broody and sitting on eggs for me right now. This used to be the fluffiest, tiny hen.

IMG_5658.jpg
IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg
IMG_5663.jpg

These two hens are doing a little better than they were after the last molt. The hen on the right didn't have any feathers on her back before this molt. I don't know what's up with her. She stands around like this all day. We call her our "retired" hen because she used to be our most prolific broody/momma hen and now she just stands with the other broody hens and "coaches" them.
IMG_5653.jpg
IMG_5654.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5661.jpg
    IMG_5661.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 2
Alright, here are the feeds I have to work with.
View attachment 2882872View attachment 2882873
We've been raising turkeys and guineas on this.
View attachment 2882874

This is the hen who is having the most feather trouble right now. She has no tail to speak of, half as many new feathers on her back as she should (there are some new feathers fluffing out finally), messy feathers on her wings that didn't molt, and super short feathers on her head. Most of my other silkies molted better than her this time. She's broody and sitting on eggs for me right now. This used to be the fluffiest, tiny hen.

View attachment 2882876View attachment 2882881
View attachment 2882883View attachment 2882884

These two hens are doing a little better than they were after the last molt. The hen on the right didn't have any feathers on her back before this molt. I don't know what's up with her. She stands around like this all day. We call her our "retired" hen because she used to be our most prolific broody/momma hen and now she just stands with the other broody hens and "coaches" them.
View attachment 2882886View attachment 2882888
The broody molting hen needs to be broken. Being broody, & molting at the same time has put strain on the process.

She's eating less, since she's sitting, so she's not getting enough protein to regrow feathers.

Any other ideas?
If giving them chick feed has worked out, then I think it’s a minor nutrient deficiency problem. If it’s medicated then it’d be boosting her immune system as well. So that the body is not too focused on staying healthy, and allowing itself to repair other things. I’ve been told using a little apple cider vinegar provides calcium. And this one owner uses a lightly cooked, then powder made ginger. Only once a month though. A little bit is great for molting according to him, but it kills in excess. He uses it in the summer months.

The broody molting hen needs to be broken. Being broody, & molting at the same time has put strain on the process.

She's eating less, since she's sitting, so she's not getting enough protein to regrow feathers.
At this point I can't break her without killing the eggs she's been sitting on. I don't have another hen or an incubator to take that over. I do know that this particular hen is a good eater (unlike the majority of my broody silkies) and will get up to eat and drink. I also feed my broody hens boiled eggs to supplement their diet and keep their weight up while they are sitting on the nest. So I will give her some extra TLC but I can't break her right now (I worked really hard to get these eggs and having already candled them I know they are developing really well). I do see how being broody and molting at the same time, especially if it happens more than once would add stress and prevent a good molt and she's broody quite frequently. I will try to make sure in the future that I don't let her have eggs while she is molting!

At this point I can't break her without killing the eggs she's been sitting on. I don't have another hen or an incubator to take that over. I do know that this particular hen is a good eater (unlike the majority of my broody silkies) and will get up to eat and drink. I also feed my broody hens boiled eggs to supplement their diet and keep their weight up while they are sitting on the nest. So I will give her some extra TLC but I can't break her right now (I worked really hard to get these eggs and having already candled them I know they are developing really well). I do see how being broody and molting at the same time, especially if it happens more than once would add stress and prevent a good molt and she's broody quite frequently. I will try to make sure in the future that I don't let her have eggs while she is molting!
I broke a broody molting silkie hen this year.

I understand what you're saying though. Once the eggs hatch, her food consumption will increase since there'll be hungry chicks to feed. It's good to have broody who's a good eater too.

Back
Top Bottom