Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 797 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 97 11.7%

• Total voters
Ok, speaking of paints vs splashes.. I figure dad here (Shadow Captain) is a paint (party color). Yes or no? View attachment 3183562
Or maybe partridge splash?
Here is my paint boy (rehomed)... in comparison yours looks like maybe a splash with some leakage 🤔

20220604_082241.jpg

Ok, speaking of paints vs splashes.. I figure dad here (Shadow Captain) is a paint (party color). Yes or no? View attachment 3183562

Not a named color. Mixed color genetics. Doesn't mean he isnt pretty. The red is leakage. If you want to see what sort of colors can come from true mix breeding of colors over time, look up Icelandic chickens as they are a landrace breed. It's an anything goes and is an example of what happens when you let barnyard mixed breed as they will for over a thousand years.

Years ago I had a sweet little Silkie that I got from a rescue. Her name was Phoebe and she was missing toes from frostbite…or so I was told.
That was 20 years ago and I’m happy to say that we have added 11 Silkie babies to our chicken home.
Most of them are satin Silkies but two are silk.
I didn’t get pics of everyone but here are most of them. I have to work on names.
View attachment 3182688View attachment 3182689View attachment 3182690View attachment 3182691View attachment 3182692View attachment 3182694

Aww what a gorgeous little group you have! They look like they have lots of potential, I bet you get some real beauties! 🥰

@LynnaePB didn't you do a post a whole back that had pics of a chicks wing at 1 to 2 weeks of age showing the difference between a Silkie and a Satin?
I've searched and searched and cannot locate it!
The babies wings are all starting to come in with feathers and I'm trying to identify which ones are Satin, Silkie...and which might just be frizzley!

@LadiesAndJane was the one who posted here with some great examples of satin vs silkie feathering early on. 🥰

If you'd like to post pictures of your little ones wings here I'm sure you'd get some good opinions. I know I'd be happy to let you know what feather type they look like they have anyhow. ☺️

I think at a week old or so it becomes pretty obvious in most if they have silkie or satin feathering. The frizzle satins should be fairly easy to spot too vs smooth. Frizzle silkies maybe a little harder vs non frizzled but I don't have experience with young frizzle silkies yet so I'm not positive.

He really is gorgeous! I'd say splash with red leakage. He'd be good in a splash calico project. 🥰 Calico is still an umbrella term but the splash based with the red leakage is probably the most well known and popular and can really make some gorgeous results. I love calico projects and am in the beginning stages of my own. I'm thinking the splash based are probably the ones with the most potential but I'm playing around with paint based too. I have a long way to go, your Shadow Captain already has a better color than any of my first gen I've got so far.

Aww what a gorgeous little group you have! They look like they have lots of potential, I bet you get some real beauties! 🥰

@LadiesAndJane was the one who posted here with some great examples of satin vs silkie feathering early on. 🥰

If you'd like to post pictures of your little ones wings here I'm sure you'd get some good opinions. I know I'd be happy to let you know what feather type they look like they have anyhow. ☺️

I think at a week old or so it becomes pretty obvious in most if they have silkie or satin feathering. The frizzle satins should be fairly easy to spot too vs smooth. Frizzle silkies maybe a little harder vs non frizzled but I don't have experience with young frizzle silkies yet so I'm not positive.

He really is gorgeous! I'd say splash with red leakage. He'd be good in a splash calico project. 🥰 Calico is still an umbrella term but the splash based with the red leakage is probably the most well known and popular and can really make some gorgeous results. I love calico projects and am in the beginning stages of my own. I'm thinking the splash based are probably the ones with the most potential but I'm playing around with paint based too. I have a long way to go, your Shadow Captain already has a better color than any of my first gen I've got so far.
Oooh id love to see calicos!!

Back
Top Bottom