Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Any suggestions on talking to my neighbor about their location of keeping chickens? We live within in the city limits of a large city (that has a specific ordinance regarding keeping chickens - 35 feet from neighboring property) and their chickens have their pen of about 10-12 hens is up against the property line/fence and less than 5 feet from the side of our house.

I really like our neighbors (we just moved in 3 months ago) and don't mind that there are chickens next door, but after we moved in we discovered that the rat problem has been serious and concerning, plus the proximity of the chicken's yard to our front porch and back deck has a distinct odor when we try to enjoy.

We recently discovered that they are not abiding by the municipal code. I am not interested in turning them in, but have to talk to them first about the situation.

How would a non-chicken owner approach the situation of asking them to relocate the chicken pen away from our house and in a manner that reduces our home's exposure to the nightly rat traffic (the rats keeps trying to get in our house by roof, by crawl space and any way they can enter) plus conforming with the municipal code? I want to keep good will and the developing friendship with our neighbors and I also want to enjoy our city home without rat infestation (yes, we have been diligently working on exclusion of rats, which cost quite a bit to have taken care of) and the odor that wafts in the breeze.

How do I approach without offending, but also having them cooperate/willingly follow the city ordinance? I don't wish for them to get rid of the chickens, just relocate them appropriately. It makes me anxious to have the conversation because I don't know how they will react.
I’m not sure why I have to be quoted?

You need to have a talk with the neighbor. Be open and friendly. Because rats problems are not okay. They carry potential vermin disease.

They are either not storing the food right, and obviously not cleaning the coop enough to deter the smell. Those issues need to be addressed. Please be advised if they do keep their food tight locked away. Perhaps it the human garbage is source of problem regarding with the rat problems.

If anyone leave pet food out in the open because they keep cat or dogs outside. That enough to have rat problems too.

Yes, here are a couple pictures from today! :D

View attachment 2624783
View attachment 2624784

All the hatches went great, thanks so much for asking! Of the eggs that developed I only had one quit at a week into incubation. The others all hatched! :celebrate

From my red pyle project pair I got 2 red pyles (they just look white now but should get their red starting to come in in a couple months), and 4 probably silver partridge that will likely leak red.

My silver gene white hen with the silver partridge male gave me what I think are 3 recessive white, a probably silver partridge, and a blue. :)

From what hatched I found out my little white hen is carrying a single recessive partridge gene since she had both a blue and a partridge chick when paired with a silver partridge male. That combined with the hatch where she had two blacks and a blue with a black male makes me think she is silver based recessive white with blue under the white and a single recessive partridge gene. I'll have to take her out of my paint program since she has all those things hiding but I'm glad I found out. Test hatches are fun! :lol:
So glad the last 4 hatched well :celebrate
They are all absolutely gorgeous ❤️:love❤️
I'm not familiar with color genetics and to me it sounds like kind of detective work - amazing what all can be carried and hidden!

Hello all! I'm contemplating getting some Silkies and wanted to know: just how susceptible really are they to Marek's and other diseases? I don't want to end up having to stop keeping chickens if one of the Silkies infects the entire flock or something - and figured that this was a good place to ask! Any help is appreciated!
I've never had problems with Mareks. Politely disagreeing, I believe that a breed as wide-spread and common silkies will have varying levels of hardiness. Some lines will be tougher than others. I got my first silkies from Cackle, and my newer birds I am getting from a local breeder.

Instead of worrying over hardiness, I recommend strengthening their immune systems. I firmly believe that fermenting their feed and offering other healthy foods has kept my flock healthy and strong for the eight years I have been keeping them.

Little flock has been outside for the first time 😄 (day before yesterday - yesterday and today it was too cold)
RIMG1330 (2).JPG

RIMG1331.JPG

RIMG1333 (2).JPG

What a beautiful little flock! 🥰 They really look like they are enjoying their outing, they are so big already! Looks like you got a nice mix of colors, too!❤️
Thank you ❤️
Yes they were very curious about everything but stayed always nearby us, after 45 minutes we brouhgt them back in. I hope the weather will be better the next days so they can start to explore everything and use the wide box with peat and dirt mix, I know they would love to bathe together/in a group, they already try to do this in/next to their sode in the brooder😊

I have two sexed pullet red cochin bantams coming next week. First time with cochins.
Did you get your cochins yet??

I just got a little red frizzle yesterday! Unsexed... but HOPING of course its a female. Andddd a super cute little polish.. very interesting how their little chick head poofs look so similar to silkies.

Did you get your cochins yet??

I just got a little red frizzle yesterday! Unsexed... but HOPING of course its a female. Andddd a super cute little polish.. very interesting how their little chick head poofs look so similar to silkies.
Congrats on your frizzle. Would love to see photos!❤️
Yes the chicks arrived today! They were about 3 1/2 days on the way so I had a few losses including one of the Cochins. Two though look like they’re doing great and one of them was actually a free extra, so I guess I can’t complain. Just sad.
I’ll post photos tomorrow when they’ve perked up a bit more. The other chicks in my order are going to other folks so just keeping those two.
I have two white capped black polish pullets and they’re just awesome.🥰
They are nine months old and both laying regularly.
Congratulations on your new Polish chick! What color did you get?
I have a Polkie, which is a silkie/Polish cross that is two months old and she’s a sweetheart, this is her photo. Her crest looks something between the Silkie and the Polish crests!😊
D8B97D28-2BB7-454B-AE27-010DB053A5A0.jpeg
901B2F94-A9CB-43BB-9859-DA88D41F6AF9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom