Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 788 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
Largefowl Silkie rooster.
20210109_142242.jpg
20210109_142250.jpg
Largefowl Silkie Hen
20210616_094734.jpg
20210616_094742.jpg
Bantam Silkie Rooster
20210109_141951.jpg
20210109_141958.jpg
Bantam Silkie Hen.
20210109_141641.jpg
20210109_141649.jpg

@LynnaePB is the paint expert, but I will try to answer your question. 😊
Paint is created by DOMINANT white crossed to black. Once you have a paint, this can be crossed to another paint, a dominant white or a black and you will get some paint chicks (you can also get more dominant whites or blacks). Other colors can be used with the paint, but this depends on what your goals are.
Most white silkies are RECESSIVE white.
The only way to know for sure is to test breed your white hens with the black rooster. Recessive whites can "hide" other colors, often partridge. Test breeding can also help determine what other colors may be at play with recessive white.
Most likely your girls are recessive white and crossed to a black rooster will give you black chicks. Only way to find out is to try it and see.
These cuties just hatched late yesterday and last night. They are in the dryer waiting to be moved over to the brooder.😊View attachment 2880958

I'd say you are a paint expert yourself, wonderfully explained! 😁

Congratulations on the new babies as well, I love that Eko seems to be producing some lovely spots! 😍

I don't know the answer to this, but wanted to tell you that your pumpkin carved chicken is quite impressive!! I wish I had the patience for such lovely carving!! :)
OH ..I apologize...That's not my.work nor my pumpkin. Whoever did it it is amazing & I am attempting this lol.I loved the image so I kept it for a guide to try my own .Its Hard. Maybe next year😍

OH ..I apologize...That's not my.work nor my pumpkin. Whoever did it it is amazing & I am attempting this lol.I loved the image so I kept it for a guide to try my own .Its Hard. Maybe next year😍
Awww, definitely pumpkin carving goals! Good luck!! It’s super awesome! You definitely didn’t have to own up hehe…like buying Costco lasagna 😆 throw away that package and no one is the wiser :clap

Babies in the dryer love their stuffed bear.🥰View attachment 2881913
Ohhwww so sweet :love

The thing I miss out with raising chicks with broodies is not really handling the chicks till at least 6 weeks when mother starts weaning off them although some hens will allow me to hold their babies most don't like it. And some hens don't wean chicks till a few months old!

Ohhwww so sweet :love

The thing I miss out with raising chicks with broodies is not really handling the chicks till at least 6 weeks when mother starts weaning off them although some hens will allow me to hold their babies most don't like it. And some hens don't wean chicks till a few months old!
Pros and cons. Broody babies are easier to integrate into the flock!🥰

So 99% of my chicks that hatched this month (40 chicks for October) are either Silkies or Polkies, but I did put four of Hikari’s eggs in the incubator just to see what they would look like. The chicks are then 3/4 silkie and 1/4 Ameraucana. Two of them were DIS before they hatched but these two hatched! 😃
One blue and one black. They’re super cute, seems they’re extra fluffy! The black one is already sold and thinking about keeping the blue one…:oops:
23DF6961-638E-441F-9108-FDBAE9F7FE35.jpeg
C24B6522-CE86-4D71-9FCA-D8ADD817848A.jpeg

Happy Halloween Everyone!❤️
4BCCB992-C68C-4889-83E6-8D1ADEBBB4E1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom