Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 790 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.5%

• Total voters
Hey guys help me out here quickly! This is one of the chicks I sold to a lovely family as a one week old that can no longer can keep them. 3 months old now. This one I’m on the fence with taking back as I think it may be male. It is beardless and wattles coming in are small. Crest and body are looking female. It is mixed partridge in that mom is blue Partridge and dad was paint. I see some red coming in too so I’m leaning Cockerel. Any thoughts or ideas? I need to give her an answer right away.😊
Thanks.View attachment 3174616
That one looks so much like my first silkie partridge... i think it could be female, even with the coloring.

That one looks so much like my first silkie partridge... i think it could be female, even with the coloring.
I was thinking that too I’m so on the fence with this one. I think if I saw it in person it would be helpful. I’m going to go ahead and have her bring all 4 down and then will let the chips fall where they may.
She just needs to rehome them quickly and I can always resell them if I can’t use them in my flock. I have more time to find a good home for them than she does. She understands this too.😊
I think this chick may be one of Odorikos. She had a funky comb that looks very much like this. I sold her a few months back as I didn’t really want to use her for breeding, but I did hatch a few of her eggs and I’m pretty sure this is one of her chicks. She was also beardless.

I was thinking that too I’m so on the fence with this one. I think if I saw it in person it would be helpful. I’m going to go ahead and have her bring all 4 down and then will let the chips fall where they may.
She just needs to rehome them quickly and I can always resell them if I can’t use them in my flock. I have more time to find a good home for them than she does. She understands this too.😊
I think this chick may be one of Odorikos. She had a funky comb that looks very much like this. I sold her a few months back as I didn’t really want to use her for breeding, but I did hatch a few of her eggs and I’m pretty sure this is one of her chicks. She was also beardless.
I really wish we all loved closer... rehoming would be so much easier.. of course our collective count would only increase!!

Ok I think Bluey is showing streamers....what do yall think? She's got more white starting to come in like everywhere - guess mottled will keep showing back up as she grows...or HE?
Sorry I've just never been so stumped by one like this before!
She acts NOTHING like a cockrel at all!!!
Yes she is standing tall right now but we hit 100 and feels like over 110...it's bad here!

Ok I think Bluey is showing streamers....what do yall think? She's got more white starting to come in like everywhere - guess mottled will keep showing back up as she grows...or HE?
Yes she is standing tall right now but we hit 100 and feels like over 110...it's bad here!
I have a question... Is Bluey's legs longer than the other chicks? Amanda told me if you feel the crest it will have a noticeable bump or drop off at the back, legs are longer, more upright posture, and streamers.

Finally got to move my silkie babies out of the brooder into the turnout pen where my BCM and her 3 babies were residing. Momma went back with her flock and those 3 babies went into the baby crib brooder.. three bantams (4 weeks) vs 5 silkies (12 weeks) was a great improvement for me and the kiddos.

I have a question... Is Bluey's legs longer than the other chicks? Amanda told me if you feel the crest it will have a noticeable bump or drop off at the back, legs are longer, more upright posture, and streamers.

Finally got to move my silkie babies out of the brooder into the turnout pen where my BCM and her 3 babies were residing. Momma went back with her flock and those 3 babies went into the baby crib brooder.. three bantams (4 weeks) vs 5 silkies (12 weeks) was a great improvement for me and the kiddos.
Sounds like a handful!!!

Bluey is built wider but can't really tell her legs are longer. Her feathers on her legs and feet are a lot longer though!
Not sure I understand bout the crest...I would think that pertains to a vaulted skull not male or female.

Sounds like a handful!!!

Bluey is built wider but can't really tell her legs are longer. Her feathers on her legs and feet are a lot longer though!
Not sure I understand bout the crest...I would think that pertains to a vaulted skull not male or female.
Sorry Gamma, I meant comb, not crest.. that's what I get for typing without thinking.. But it does seems like Bluey is getting streamers or just a bigger headdress.

Those do look an awful lot like streamers to me. After this last video I'm thinking Bluey really is looking like a little cockerel now. :oops: I could always be wrong though and Bluey might surprise me, either way she/he is a beautiful little one. 🥰

I can't wait to see how color turns out later on as well. I think colors with mottling involved are famous for going through all sorts of changes until maturity (and even then they often will get a little more white in with each yearly molt). 😊

Those do look an awful lot like streamers to me. After this last video I'm thinking Bluey really is looking like a little cockerel now. :oops: I could always be wrong though and Bluey might surprise me, either way she/he is a beautiful little one. 🥰

I can't wait to see how color turns out later on as well. I think colors with mottling involved are famous for going through all sorts of changes until maturity (and even then they often will get a little more white in with each yearly molt). 😊
I'm excited, obviously with all the posts, either way cuz so many of the features I luv! From the wide body to enormous feathers on legs n feet!
Now if u could just get a better read on her personality! This heat doesn't make it easy cuz I don't wanna work with her and make her any hotter! She's definitely struggles with the heat more than others.

Back
Top Bottom