Silkies?

Owenp_2

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
Middle of North Carolina
Hey everyone for those of you who dont know I have six hens and a rooster and I have been wanting to breed my rooster with my hens. However I do not want to hatch along chicks past thanksgiving. My rooster is still maturing so I dont think he will meet my breeding season this year. My friend hatched around twenty silkie chicks. She has some buff, black and mixed colored silkies that are three weeks old. I am highly considering buying them I just wanted to know you guys´ thoughts and opions on silkies and if you have any tips that apply to silkies only and not other breeds. Also should I get them? :oops:
Thanks,
Owen

I just got some silkies in addition to my five 15 week olds. love them for their very sweet personalities! They're still 7 weeks young so I'm not entirely sure about what it will be like when they grow up, but for now they are very different from when my normal sized chickens were that age. Not as hyperactive for sure. I guess depending on what kind you get, but their inability to fly and see well makes them not as self sufficient as the others. I would probably never let these out of the run in fear of having them snatched away by a hawk.
Do I love them over my other birds... not really. But I think it depends on how you prefer your pets, cute and cuddly?Then silkies are for you. Minimal maintenance? maybe not.

Of course, I probably haven't had them for long enough to give an accurate assessment, so hopefully others will chime in because I'm interested in learning more too!

I've got a pair of silkies that I adore and a polish ( I dont adore quite as much) and the one issue I'm having is that I'm having a heck of a time integrating them with my hard feather flock and I've used every trick in the book, forum and old wives tale I could find. Be prepared to have to pen them separately. I haven't given up on getting mine mingled, but I've got some pretty Dominant red shavers that are pretty dead set against the idea.

oh wow, I guess I’m pretty fortunate my big girls didn’t pick on the little ones too much. I only have one that is not a silkie mix, so maybe that’s what is making a difference.

I leave mine in the run with the older girls and so far it’s going well. One of my orloffs likes to pick on them more than others, but the three small ones are active with full crops and don’t seem worse for wear. Hoping it will stay that way! :fl

My 7week silkie (mixes)
28553D51-9F36-4D0B-A585-CFBC2D0C97E5.jpeg 6E883125-1DE7-4622-9FB4-C5BD0524E5EC.jpeg

My 15 week normal feathered girls. They really like my front door steps for some reason. Their coop and run are in the back yard...
72630FCE-520E-4DC7-853D-AC36B0328D57.jpeg

I just got some silkies in addition to my five 15 week olds. love them for their very sweet personalities! They're still 7 weeks young so I'm not entirely sure about what it will be like when they grow up, but for now they are very different from when my normal sized chickens were that age. Not as hyperactive for sure. I guess depending on what kind you get, but their inability to fly and see well makes them not as self sufficient as the others. I would probably never let these out of the run in fear of having them snatched away by a hawk.
Do I love them over my other birds... not really. But I think it depends on how you prefer your pets, cute and cuddly?Then silkies are for you. Minimal maintenance? maybe not.

Of course, I probably haven't had them for long enough to give an accurate assessment, so hopefully others will chime in because I'm interested in learning more too!
Yes, I have a very large coop that could house up to thirty birds because when I built it I kept in mind later on it could be converted into a small shed. I am not even at one third capacity so I think it should be good for now.

From what I've heard, an issue that's not pecking order related is that they can't fly up to roosts, so they will sleep in nests below other birds and get pooped on. Apparently you need a low roost or a ramp to a roost, and train them to use it.

From what I've heard, an issue that's not pecking order related is that they can't fly up to roosts, so they will sleep in nests below other birds and get pooped on. Apparently you need a low roost or a ramp to a roost, and train them to use it.
Ok well in my coop the roosts are either really high up or easily accessible by the ramp so thats no problem none of mine have to fly up to the coop anyways they can reach it from the platform. Thanks for your feedback.

Back
Top Bottom