Silver-Laced Sebright crossed with Orpington?

I would certainly doubt that with all the cougars, bear, coyotes, and raccoons up there. Every time I have sent them a mouser it has disappeared within a short time, and I'm sure it has been eaten. I asked where the closest farm a cat could have gone to was, and it's an hour's walk, straight up and over a treacherous mountain, so the likelihood of wild chickens surviving seems mighty slim to me. Also, there are owls, hawks, eagles-- everyone hungry. It is extremely remote and desolate.

It was "Sebright Savvy" who posted about the Sebright crossing with an Australorp, and with a name like "Sebright Savvy," I'll bet they know a lot about Sebrights and their crosses. I will e-mail her and see what she thinks, based on my latest picture of Pect's tail.

Quote:
Chickens are very capable survivors, when they are out in the country they are in my opinion more likely to survive then in a coop where there is no escape route for them if and when the predator gets in. Its a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, Chickens are prey animals and have survival instints and the longer they are in the wild the better they get. An hrs walk isn't that far, my chickens wander around all day, and they can get in and through all kinds of terrains that we can not. There are alot more prey animals out there then predators and they seem to survive to breed otherwise they would all be extinct.

There are millions of wild cats out there just because they went missing doesnt' mean the got ate. They are very self suffient they don't need people to survive, could be out there living the life, eating small birds, mice or whatever.

Chickens don't need people to survive, we need them, thats why humans domesticated them in the first place.

I think that you believe that your chick is part sebright no matter what, We don't know what the father bird was, we don't know what the mother bird was so the possibilities are endless, short of a DNA test I don't know.

I have consulted cat experts, and they say the likelihood of the cats I sent up there surviving in the wild like that is very low. They get worms and other diseases from mice and birds, when they try to subsist on a diet of those, without a steady supply of cat food that has all the nutrients their bodies' require. It seems unlikely they would give up their cat food and fresh water and try to subsist on mice and birds, when they were used to commercial cat food. Their food was found untouched. Check with your cat welfare organizations in your area. They will explain this to you. After they explained it, I was really sorry I had let the cats go up there. Another person told me the previous property owner had said that he thought coyotes were killing the cats. The previous owner had had 11 cats, and they disappeared slowly, one by one, without a trace. Not good.

If there were wild chickens, someone would likely have seen them. There are lots of people walking around out there, and they look for wild animal tracks and such all the time. It's a nice thought, but I don't believe it is likely at all.

No Stormy, I don't think my roo is a Sebright, no matter what. If you have read my posts, you have seen I have posited many different ideas as to his parentage, not just Sebright. I am just hoping to determine his parentage, because I would like to know, for future breeding purposes. I don't care what his parentage was. I'm not invested in one breed over another. I just hope for a healthy bird. If he is part Sebright, I have the Marek's worry, and I'd rather not have to worry about that. But if he is part Sebright, that is fine with me, too. Your DNA test is a great idea. Do some vets do those???

Here is his 10-week-old photo that shows his tail. It is perky and has black stripes in the white that are similar-looking to the Sebright hen's tail. His tail looks taller and skinnier to me than it does in this photo:

84553_bantietail.jpg

Hi, just wanted to add my thoughts here. I have Sebrights and EE's. Your rooster looks like a BO/ EE cross. My Sebright crosses generally have slate colored legs, and some sign of lacing. Is it possible that his roosters are crosses?

edited because I used the wrong word

Last edited:
Interesting! Thanks, Ozark. Someone suggested that my roo's beak looks EE-ish.

The farmer claimed his chickens were purebred, straight from the hatchery with no crossing, but maybe he misunderstood.

Could you send me some pictures of your BO/EE roosters? How I would love to see them!

I might add that both the farmer who has the roosters, and the father of the farmer who has the roosters, and my own sister were all certain my rooster was a hen! I, however, knew from the day he was born that he was a rooster.

So, it is possible that the farmer doesn't recognize a rooster when he sees one, and that there is an EE rooster running around up there, that he thinks is a hen. Like father, like son. LOL

I can't wait to go up there and check it out for myself, but it's a long distance off, and I don't get there often.

I meant to say that I knew from the minute my Roo was hatched that he was a boy. I wrote from the minute he was born, but I realize chickens are hatched and not born. :>)

Here are the pictures of the resulting cross of my Sebright rooster and Australorp hen. Is it at all possible that the Leghorn rooster was actually a White Rock rooster? Or some "other" white looking variety that could be Recessive White instead?

SebrightxBA.jpg

SebrightxBlackAust.jpg

12.jpg

99.jpg

P101000799.jpg

Father
Greatestpic.jpg

Mother
12464_p1010217.jpg

Back
Top Bottom