Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics
Our first ever! 2 beautiful (hopefully) females. My wife loves them soooo much but we cant have roos here. BYC has helped and i think we are raising two ladies but here they are, please tell me im right! They are 6 weeks and of course SLW.

That's the first one which I'm least sure of.

And she is the second.
Id tell you the names but we made a deal we wouldn't name them until we were sure they were hens. ...Pretty sure my wife already named them though and she has the names stored secretly in her head.
so? Can we name them yet? And if you think they are hens how sure are u? It would be too much of an emotional roller coaster for my Mrs. if i tell her they are Def females and then one turns out to be a roo.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Top pic looks like my 8 week old SLW pullet that was killed by prodction red hen when I put 12 young ones in coop. Hen now lives in my garden but lays an egg outside coop door.

That is very sad. An alley cat almost got this one the first day we brought her outside. We were only eight feet away, it had some balls.

Hello everyone, I have a 8 week old silver laced Wyandotte just wondering if anyone knows if it's a hen or rooster thanks so much sorry the photo isn't very clear as its a big sook and doesn't like to be held much.

Last edited:
Ok thanks do you know about what age they get saddle feathers as I've been told that's a clear indication its a cockerel. The comb isn't actually that big its flat on its head its just the angle of the photo cos it was trying to fly off

Last edited:
Ok thanks do you know about what age they get saddle feathers as I've been told that's a clear indication its a cockerel. The comb isn't actually that big its flat on its head its just the angle of the photo cos it was trying to fly off
My wyandottes usually start getting saddle feathers around 12 weeks. His comb doesn't look very big compared to some other breeds that have single combs. But for a rose combed breed, that's quite a lot of comb for that age. At that age, a wyandotte pullet's rose comb is narrower and has a much less defined shape to it.

Back
Top Bottom