Sit'n on the porch

We had a great visit and I've was so glad they came to us. Usually we have to initiate a visit just to check on them. We try to make certain we do on a periodic basis as they are getting frail. They live 90 miles from us so while not real fast its not really pop in for dinner distance.

Have you considered why the leg goes lame? I believe that when this happens to my Lilly, and it has happened a couple of times, it is because she lands funny getting off of the roost. Is your roost high?

As far as treatment goes, I let her work through it with the tribe. It usually only takes a week or so. If it takes a month you could try giving her an anti-inflammatory to help her with any inflammation and get it moving sooner. I believe that @micstrachan knows an aspirin dose that might help.
Yes, I have used aspirin for pain, inflammation or ascites. I have given half a low-dose (81mg) aspirin twice a day for three days. While it’s effective, you don’t want to over use aspirin, as my understanding is it can irritate the digestive system, just like in humans. That’s why only three days. If you want to go thus route, I can try to dig up more info. I forget exactly how I landed there.

I cannot find the height to flight ratio but anything over a foot high should have a ramp or a step so they can get down without hurting themselves or risking bumblefoot. Now lighter birds like leghorns can do higher roosts without problems.
So far non of mine have had an issue getting up & down. Now, the small Red LH's can get up on the outdoor roost and use the stump in the coop as a jump up to get up on the indoor roost. As they get bigger I think, hope, they will be able in the end.
IMG_1914.JPG IMG_0079.JPG

I googled it -
https://www.chickensandmore.com/chicken-roost/

Capture2.JPG

So far non of mine have had an issue getting up & down. Now, the small Red LH's can get up on the outdoor roost and use the stump in the coop as a jump up to get up on the indoor roost. As they get bigger I think, hope, they will be able in the end.
View attachment 2775115View attachment 2775116

I googled it -
https://www.chickensandmore.com/chicken-roost/

View attachment 2775118
The important thing to remember about leghorns is they are really birds and fly amazingly well. However, Orpingtons are not. I had to lower my roost and install a step for my Hattie to reach it. You are adding some orpingtons, right? You surely do not want a big bodies dual purpose bird like that trying to fly down from a high roost.

I had a good day with our sons family yesterday, I got magnetic alphabet and the board game Star Wars Monopoly, they all have fun.
The pulled beef/shredded beef turned out good, it went well with the slaw.

I made a pot of decaf this morning, we have 2 new deer this year, one is now away from its mom and the other still had spots last week. This is the older one, eating the new growth on the poplar saplings I try and keep cut back, BUT, she started to eye ball in the direction of the garden so I opened the window, OFF she went.......

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

I thought of this group while I was sitting on the porch today, cleaning garlic. I got about half of it done; the other half can wait. There are some HUGE cloves this time!

Our friend with the kidney infection came home from the hospital today! :celebrate I'll be going down to stay with him for a few hours, probably Wednesday and Friday, so his wife can go back to work. I asked about playing Trivial Pursuit, as I want to extend my winning streak.* His wife said he might fall asleep during the game.

*I have won every game of TP I've ever played. Yup, all one of them. :gig
You're like my wife. It is no fun to play her in trivial pursuit. :barnie

ab6fe84e346adec4077c89dd332621a4.jpg

Good Morning Porches,
It has been a very busy 2 months. Most of the garden is done for the season. I still have lettuce, beets, kale, and parsley in the garden bed. I did move some to the green house last week for a winter garden.
All of the 15 hens are doing great. The 21 week old brown leghorns, red LH, & 2 white orpingtons have not laid their first egg yet. My husband did @BY Bob lower the roosts for me last week. The little red LG's couldn't get up on the roost without the stump to use as a step up. So due to winter coming and the need for floor space in the coop, down the roost went. I am sorry to report the Rooster Bob got more aggressive. I think he was in protection over drive. He just would not stop attacking us, so RIP Lord Grantham.

We had a WONDERFUL hard down pour yesterday, a very much needed rain. the PNW is dangerously dry.

We have another grandbaby due in late February, which will make 10 for us.
It is 52 out on the porch this morning. We are due for on / off rain today.
I am still drinking decaf coffee and tea. My heart Doc. said keep drinking lots of water 72oz minimum.
Have a wonderful morning,
f58c590b031c88174cf6a51e1c3f7d33.jpg

Back
Top Bottom