Sit'n on the porch

Pics
:frowQuestion...Since you have leghorns. I hear leghorns seldom go broody. What is your experience with yours going broody? Often? Or not really at all?
It never happened in the years I had them. There are theories that if let go they would eventually become broody again. In American leghorns are normally culled when they stop laying at a high rate. Leghorns in Italy go broody just like any other chicken.

It never happened in the years I had them. There are theories that if let go they would eventually become broody again. In American leghorns are normally culled when they stop laying at a high rate. Leghorns in Italy go broody just like any other chicken.
That's good to know because when keeping chickens primarily for eggs then that should not be a issue. I can appreciate not dealing with a chicken wanting to hatch eggs instead of lay them. Ha,ha, Thanks for the reply!

I never realized how much they kick up until we did two chicks in a brooder in the house. Just amazing the amount of dust they created in just a few weeks.
Oh! totally! Australorps and Orpington in the tub, I had wood chip dust ALL over the bathroom
hredirect2 (9).jpg
hredirect2 (8).jpg

Last edited:
Very odd! why do they, what do they do different in Italy?

I took the one week old chicks out to experience the other hens. The older hen pretty much ignored them after I first put them out. One did keep coming to see.
IMG_1084.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1090.JPG

the chicks made themselves right at home, scratching and
IMG_1088.JPG
dust bathing. I did pick up each older hen and held them in the brooder and let the chicks come close to them - All they wanted was out! they were not
interested in the chicks. So, I dont think I will have a mamma hen like I did with the Buff Orpington

Very odd! why do they, what do they do different in Italy?
In Italy they are not the little egg laying machines they are here. They lay at a much normal rate. Part of the breeding program in the US was to select for birds that did not have a tendency to go broody which costs you valuable egg laying time. Therefore no other chickens lay eggs at the rate of the US leghorn without stopping.

In the net. In Italy they are as they once were. In the US we have breed them to be little egg laying machines

That's good to know because when keeping chickens primarily for eggs then that should not be a issue. I can appreciate not dealing with a chicken wanting to hatch eggs instead of lay them. Ha,ha, Thanks for the reply!
Leghorns are the perfect egg laying chickens. Good choice.

Back
Top Bottom