Sit'n on the porch

Sadly it did not happen. Instead my parents showed up and that ended any productive work for today. 🤷‍♂️
I always enjoy my dad when he comes for a visit. I didn’t see him for most of Covid and he has been here for a week. He’s going home tomorrow. He and mom live 3 hours away so visits aren’t that frequent.

On a side note, my pearl star leghorn, Butterscotch, has gone lame again today. This is the 4th time since Christmas and she goes lame on the same leg. Clearly it isn’t Marek’s disease, but I would love to get your thoughts on how to treat this. I keep her with her flock which includes 4 other hens all 15 months old and my 10 week old littles. She never seems to lose her appetite but will not be able to put any weight on the affected leg. The recovery time takes about a month.

I would take her to a vet for an X-ray but there isnt a vet locally that will see chickens. She is my absolute favorite and it breaks my heart she continues to suffer. How can I keep her with her flock but give her the best opportunity to completely heal.

It breaks my heart for her even though she muscles through. Any thoughts??

I always enjoy my dad when he comes for a visit. I didn’t see him for most of Covid and he has been here for a week. He’s going home tomorrow. He and mom live 3 hours away so visits aren’t that frequent.

On a side note, my pearl star leghorn, Butterscotch, has gone lame again today. This is the 4th time since Christmas and she goes lame on the same leg. Clearly it isn’t Marek’s disease, but I would love to get your thoughts on how to treat this. I keep her with her flock which includes 4 other hens all 15 months old and my 10 week old littles. She never seems to lose her appetite but will not be able to put any weight on the affected leg. The recovery time takes about a month.

I would take her to a vet for an X-ray but there isnt a vet locally that will see chickens. She is my absolute favorite and it breaks my heart she continues to suffer. How can I keep her with her flock but give her the best opportunity to completely heal.

well, your going to have to try and see what may be the cause, ,,did you look at the bottom of her foot? does it have a knot? Brumble? ,, is she a supper digger and throws her joint out? Jumping off the roost? Maybe she has a birth defect? it is really hard to know.
I am not sure what to say, @BY Bob may have a guess

Good night, Have a great Sunday,
64680559_2116301451826300_1843196480777617408_n.jpg

We had a great visit and I've was so glad they came to us. Usually we have to initiate a visit just to check on them. We try to make certain we do on a periodic basis as they are getting frail. They live 90 miles from us so while not real fast its not really pop in for dinner distance.

Have you considered why the leg goes lame? I believe that when this happens to my Lilly, and it has happened a couple of times, it is because she lands funny getting off of the roost. Is your roost high?

As far as treatment goes, I let her work through it with the tribe. It usually only takes a week or so. If it takes a month you could try giving her an anti-inflammatory to help her with any inflammation and get it moving sooner. I believe that @micstrachan knows an aspirin dose that might help.

Have you considered why the leg goes lame? I believe that when this happens to my Lilly, and it has happened a couple of times, it is because she lands funny getting off of the roost. Is your roost high?
Good morning and thanks for the input ❤️. She walks up and down the plank to the perch at night and she is the one gal that doesnt fly up on the outdoor roost and stays pretty calm through the days. How high would you place outdoor roosts for your chicks?

I have given her half of a baby aspirin last night and will give her another dose today…then keep track on how long it takes to get her back to normal.

Chickens are new to my life as of Covid. There is so much to know and I am glad to have so many people that give so much of themselves to help us newbies.

Back
Top Bottom