Sit'n on the porch

Good morning! It was sunny and clear, but it's clouded up now.

The first winter I had my chickens, I kept the snow out with a heavy duty tarp over the metal frame I had for my run. I covered the roof with chicken wire, then put the tarp over that. The wire helped support the snow load on the tarp. I broomed it off in the morning to keep it from piling up.

The metal frame was from an unused greenhouse. The supports were 2' apart. I could reach the peak with my push broom to pull the snow down. The tarp was slippery enough that the snow didn't stick well to it.

Good morning! It was sunny and clear, but it's clouded up now.

The first winter I had my chickens, I kept the snow out with a heavy duty tarp over the metal frame I had for my run. I covered the roof with chicken wire, then put the tarp over that. The wire helped support the snow load on the tarp. I broomed it off in the morning to keep it from piling up.

The metal frame was from an unused greenhouse. The supports were 2' apart. I could reach the peak with my push broom to pull the snow down. The tarp was slippery enough that the snow didn't stick well to it.
Thanks for sharing, that is a good idea, you can remove that easily in the spring. Nice!

IMG_1377.JPG

Here's a picture. In the summer, I took one of the tarps off. It took two to cover the whole thing, so I overlapped them over the peak. I wanted some cover from rain, and some shade. You can see the chicken wire over the top. On the sides, I have 2x3 welded wire fence with 1/2" hardware cloth over that.

I can highly recommend these tarps. I got them at TSC, and it's their heavy duty tarp, black/silver. They are tough! Not cheap, but man, this thing is still in great shape. Cheaper ones don't last.

View attachment 3343403
Here's a picture. In the summer, I took one of the tarps off. It took two to cover the whole thing, so I overlapped them over the peak. I wanted some cover from rain, and some shade. You can see the chicken wire over the top. On the sides, I have 2x3 welded wire fence with 1/2" hardware cloth over that.

I can highly recommend these tarps. I got them at TSC, and it's their heavy duty tarp, black/silver. They are tough! Not cheap, but man, this thing is still in great shape. Cheaper ones don't last.
I don’t remember,, how many chickens do you have

I don’t remember,, how many chickens do you have
I have 6 hens and a rooster. 3 black Australorps, 2 blue Australorps (?), 1 Jubilee Orpington, and my roo is a Chantecler.

I got my first post-molt egg on December 2! :weeA couple of the black Aussies look ready to start back up soon too.

Back
Top Bottom