Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

hugs.gif
I am so sorry!

Rats can kill chicks but not usually. They more often eat their chicken feed...
somad.gif

I hope they get better soon!

That's good to know. Do they bite them? Could that be where the sores are coming from? They look like growths, but they always seem to have a scab on part of them. It's weird.
I can't afford to feed rats!!!!
somad.gif
me too.

Thanks. =)

Teachick
hugs.gif
so sorry you are having issues. Did you look inside the chicks mouth? Could it be canker? I read some about it a while back but I don't know if that could be it. I am not too much on the disease side. Castportpony is really good. Good luck.

No, I haven't looked inside their mouths. These growths/sores...I have two with one on the front of the comb skin on the middle of the beak, one with one on the back of the comb, one with one on the corner of the mouth, and the one that I found this morning is the one who had the sore on her eye.

Had to share my babies. This was last week at 5 weeks. (I think) We just put them into the grow out pen today. The adults looked at them suspiciously, like they thought they might taste good.
hide.gif

@TeaChick

:hugs that is HORRID!!!!

Can you call you local extension agent, or vet school and ask if they will do a necropsy for free or close to free?

The symptoms are all sorts of weird, and it is ultra heartbreaking that so many are getting it. :hugs

Someone was mentioning that this is the season for fowl pox. :confused: I know that fowl pox will cause sores. But I don't know exactly what they look like.

Had to share my babies. This was last week at 5 weeks. (I think) We just put them into the grow out pen today. The adults looked at them suspiciously, like they thought they might taste good.
hide.gif

Pretty chickies!!!
I hate it when that happens. My grown chickens go in the nursery pen to eat the babies' food!
rant.gif
I chase them out looking like that.

@TeaChick

hugs.gif
that is HORRID!!!!

Can you call you local extension agent, or vet school and ask if they will do a necropsy for free or close to free?

The symptoms are all sorts of weird, and it is ultra heartbreaking that so many are getting it.
hugs.gif

Someone was mentioning that this is the season for fowl pox.
hu.gif
I know that fowl pox will cause sores. But I don't know exactly what they look like.

Thanks.
hugs.gif
You're sweet. =)
IDK if there's a vet school locally, but the HS has an ag program. I'll see about the county extension office.
Fowl pox?
th.gif
That's what I need, another chicken ailment to try to figure out info on.
Sorry; I don't mean to shoot the messenger. I greatly appreciate your telling me! You're so helpful and knowledgeable. =) Thanks.

Lots of pox pictures here.

Warning, most are birds with very severe cases, so if poo pictures bother you, don't look!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818895/lightbox/

-Kathy

Yup, that looks like it. It looks, based on those pics, like some of my chickens have had a pox (what's the singular form??? lol) and I noticed it, but it didn't seem to be bothering them and it eventually resolved or just didn't get worse.
So, what is pox? How did they get it? Is it painful/uncomfortable? What (if anything) can be done to prevent or alleviate it/them?
PS: Thanks for sharing the pics! They're most helpful!

Good luck @TeaChick! I've had a little of the fowl pox here last summer. It was the dry version. Mostly only on the combs and very little. It went away in a few weeks. But that was on hens not little chicks.
Castportpony has tons of good info I have learned a lot from her!

Well I have taken mom home. And it was quite a time. Our house is so disability unfriendly. We either better stay very healthy or find a house all on one level. The main part is one level but there are so many steps when your house is built into a hill. The bathroom is very tight for her wheel chair but we managed. But of course since I am eternally 29 I won't ever have to worry about that! ;)

Everyone have a great night and a great Sunday! And great coffee! :D

Back
Top Bottom