six become four !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladybird12, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ladybird12

ladybird12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    I purchased six bantam hens yesterday and this morning found two dead in the coop this morning followed by another two later on today [​IMG] on further inspection I found they had mite:/ I am so gutted because now I have introduced them into my flock of brown hens and cockeral is there a chance they will get it ? I have placed the remaining two hens in a seperate coop and dusted them they seem fairly healthy I am just hoping they survive now [​IMG] do you think they have a chance ? can mite really have killed these young hens ? any advice appreciated

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Mites in large quantities are deadly to birds. They are also highly communicable. You need to treat your whole flock now and again in 7-10 days. You also need to clean out their house using something like Oxine. Mites are no laughing matter. If you got your birds from someone you know I would contact them and notify them of the problem. I would also demand some new birds or my money back (if you paid for them). I think I would take the money rather than any more bug-riddled birds, though.

Probably the combined stress of the mites and the move to a new home was enough to kill your new birds. I hope your other newbies survive. Good luck.

3. ladybird12

ladybird12 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks [​IMG] I have treated them all tonight and the two remaining chicks are so far okay xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by