six become four !

ladybird12

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
I purchased six bantam hens yesterday and this morning found two dead in the coop this morning followed by another two later on today
sad.png
on further inspection I found they had mite:/ I am so gutted because now I have introduced them into my flock of brown hens and cockeral is there a chance they will get it ? I have placed the remaining two hens in a seperate coop and dusted them they seem fairly healthy I am just hoping they survive now
hmm.png
do you think they have a chance ? can mite really have killed these young hens ? any advice appreciated

Mites in large quantities are deadly to birds. They are also highly communicable. You need to treat your whole flock now and again in 7-10 days. You also need to clean out their house using something like Oxine. Mites are no laughing matter. If you got your birds from someone you know I would contact them and notify them of the problem. I would also demand some new birds or my money back (if you paid for them). I think I would take the money rather than any more bug-riddled birds, though.

Probably the combined stress of the mites and the move to a new home was enough to kill your new birds. I hope your other newbies survive. Good luck.

Thanks
smile.png
I have treated them all tonight and the two remaining chicks are so far okay xx

Back
Top Bottom