Six months old! I'm gonna eat my silkies!

most of mine don't lay untill 9 -10 months. and they don't like cold.

and to whom ever said they are chickens you are wrong these are fluffy aliens sent to take over the world. fortunately they are easily distracted from the goal of world domination by Nom Noms.

Quote:
But! But! I've showed them like a zillion eggs -

Me: "See this Jethro? It's an egg. Wanna sit on it, maybe brood awhile?"
Jethro: *blank stare*

Me: "Ellie Mae! Look, it's an egg! Want me to give you a bunch and you could sit on them like *this* and hatch babies! Wouldn't that be wonderful?!?"

Ellie Mae: *blank stare*

sad.png

yuckyuck.gif

gritsar, I'd love to have been a fly on your coop wall when you did that.
gig.gif
lau.gif

Can't wait til ours get to 6-8 months so I know if we have hens or roos...
hu.gif

Last edited:
I didn't think I'd be getting any eggs until spring. Breeder said most of his parent birds lay 1 or 2 eggs a week and some he's never seen an egg come out of before. I now have two of girlies giving me 6 eggs between them, weekly. And it's absolutely freezing up here. Rooster is 10 months old and hasn't mated successfully at all.

Also a little baffled...but patience! Both hens didn't start laying until they were around 8 months old. That's typical of a Silkie.

For what it's worth...I hear some Silkie boys make good daddies.
roll.png
Maybe you'll get a broody rooster?

Quote:
Toilet brushes are notoriously slow developers. AND they taste funky.........................

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Sounds like something I would do. I like to cook, but sometimes it gets soooo boring! I put food coloring in some pears when I canned them (pink and green) once. I was a bit strange, but dh and the kids still ate them.

Okay they may get a reprieve from the crock pot till spring; UNLESS I get desperate for something to clean the toilet bowl with.

As for the cold, these two silkies hate-hate-hate each other but decided to compromise and sleep together for warmth.

Quote:
That is true.. Chickens learn to tell when you're bluffing! I threatened my old birds that if the didn't lay eggs, I'd eat them... well, one of them was starting to fail due to internal laying as many hatchery birds eventually do, so I butchered her... for the two weeks following that, I got more eggs than I had gotten in months from the coop of old birds.

Back
Top Bottom