Skin peeling off hen's feet/ Crusty butt

oatsbgoats

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 18, 2012
My poor little problem child hen has been through so much, every time we fix something a new problem arises!

1. Anyone have ANY idea what could cause the skin on her feet to start peeling off? Some of it is very dry and peeling off no problem, but it is peeling off deep in other areas- exposing red tissue underneath. Definitely not bumblefoot- no real "core" infection. Also of note, not other chickens with this problem....we have very dry and clean bedding....can't figure it out! I put ointment on them and wrapped them, but cannot find ANY info out there.

2. Same hen has had continual issue with crusty vent. It definitely seems to bother her, I remove the crust (which exposes tender sometimes bleeding tissue), place ointment, but it always seems to return. Any ideas here as well?

As usual, thank you for the advice!!!

The feet and legs, or just the feet? If it's crusty, it could be scaly leg mites......I'm not sure about the vent...Vent gleet?

It's the feet and legs. I've seen scaly leg mites and this is really more like the skin is just sloughing off. Ugh really awful poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom