Skinned quail, what can i do for him??

He acts like theirs no injury at all. The injury has dried and clotted nicely. Getting daily treatments, is eating and drinking well, is not in a stressful area. It's safe, secluded, and quiet most the day. We had injured females to so they are also inside for some care, their nowhere nearly as bad though. I've dealt with a skinning injury before and I remember how it was treated. This one was just more extreme.
I'm so glad! I hope he's all good and careful now!

Some is still a little raw but he is responding well to the treatment and acts like a happy quail, scratching, eating, drinking, and doing the male quail call.

Sorry to jump in so late in the game, but for a similar skinning injury on a chicken neck/head, after irrigating to get it as clean as possible, I keep it covered with triple antibiotic ointment. Keeps dirt out, while keeping the wound moist; reapply 2x daily. I know folks love their Vet spray, but just something else to consider! Glad he's doing better :)

I can not be sure as I have never owned quail or had an injury like this. Birds can be tough though. I have a 3 day old chick that strayed from its mom and got pecked in the head but not quite this bad. His name is Uno. The first pic is right after we found him. The second pic is tonight after it has healed a bit.
20210412_183109.jpg

20210413_072823.jpg

He will recover just fine. Just keep him separate from the rest until he heals fully and up his protein intake. What is your set up for housing? You need a lot of space to keep an even ratio of male to females, but as long as you have lots of hiding spots like boxes with two exits cut into them and little pile of sticks covered with grass for cover. Quail want to see without being seen. When it's time to reintroduce him it's best done at night and in a new area where no one has established territory.

He will recover just fine. Just keep him separate from the rest until he heals fully and up his protein intake. What is your set up for housing? You need a lot of space to keep an even ratio of male to females, but as long as you have lots of hiding spots like boxes with two exits cut into them and little pile of sticks covered with grass for cover. Quail want to see without being seen. When it's time to reintroduce him it's best done at night and in a new area where no one has established territory.
We have only a starter quail cage right now. It turned out we had three males in that cage with just three females. Needless to say, we now only have two. Letting one live for now until we see for sure how my injured boy does. (They are not together.)

Back
Top Bottom