Skinny turkeys

jimeve

Chirping
Jan 21, 2019
My flock of turkeys are skinny but seem healthy. I ate two last week and not much meat on them.
I feed them extra protine and give them chicken feed as there's not any proper turkey food here were I live.
They are white heritage and about ten months old. How to fatten them please. I'm new to this. Thanks.

My flock of turkeys are skinny but seem healthy. I ate two last week and not much meat on them.
I feed them extra protein and give them chicken feed as there's not any proper turkey food here were I live.
They are white heritage and about ten months old. How to fatten them please. I'm new to this. Thanks.
Many people like to "finish" their turkeys with corn. Cracked corn is better for them than whole corn. Corn is not in any way a good feed for regular use as it is high fat and low protein but it is often used for fattening prior to processing. In my experience it does create a nice yellow fat.

my bb poults have been very difficult this year.....we were having a really difficult time getting them to eat dry crumble, so twice each day we mix their feed with greek yogurt, buttermilk, etc and a bit of scratch and mealworms and they are starting to eat and grow better. (i think the word for it is “spoiled rotten”) :th
My turkeys last year would eat plenty of food but i also supplemented with cracked corn, veggies, and greek yogurt throughout the week especially toward the end.

I have been giving them cracked corn but they are a little fatter, we ate and sold some at Christmas but hardly any meat on them. Their skin was very hard, could hardly cut them. And their eggs was like hard to crack open. Just trying to get rid of them nobody wants them/

I have been giving them cracked corn but they are a little fatter, we ate and sold some at Christmas but hardly any meat on them. Their skin was very hard, could hardly cut them. And their eggs was like hard to crack open. Just trying to get rid of them nobody wants them/
They are single breasted and yes the egg shells are thicker
Have you eaten heritage turkeys before? The broad breasted in the store are 16 to 20 wks old. Much thinner skin and have extra layer of breast meat.

Back
Top Bottom