Skunks living 30 feet from my coop !!

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
This morning about 11am, I saw 2 skunks (rather their tails) up the hill about 30 feet from my coop. I went up the hill to investigate and discovered a hole in the ground about 12" with several smaller holes nearby. this hole now quite evident since my husband mowed. The way the hole is situated, until you are on top of it, you really don't see it. About a month ago, I saw a very large skunk walking around that area, but it was well after dark and I do live in the county.......

Now, I am worried. My new coop was well built with concrete floors and the pen has concrete perimeter so nothing could dig in. But, I do let my girls free range (only when I am home) in the morning and afternoons, always counting and locking them up at night. This hole is just about 30 feet from the coop and run. And the chickens do free range in the hole area.

So, here are my questions. Will skunks kill adult hens? Would skunks run after them during free range? I know it is very unusual to see skunks during the day, so why were these out? It looked like one tail was smaller than the other....mother and baby?

Are skunks nomads? If there is a family, will they move on and come back year after year to breed or will they live there forever? And lastly, how can I get rid of them?

My pen has 4"x2" wire panels...can a skunk get in thru one of these holes? If a skunk could get through these holes, they could gain access to the birds inside the coop.

Whatever information you can share with me would be appreciated. Thank you. I have locked up the girls and am afraid now to let them out.
Anne

I've usually got a family that lives under the floor of my main coop. She comes back every year to raise a batch...this year she had them in my husband's shop in the center of 3 tires stacked on top of each other.

I've seen many skunks during the day. So they were either all sick or they do come out during the day sometimes. I know this sounds strange to sy since I'm sure they are pests and maybe predators (I have no idea if they attack birds), but I really like skunks. I think they are so cute. Ya I may be odd...
tongue.png

I know there's one somewhere nearby. I'm smelt it like 4 times now. The neighbors let their dogs run everywhere and I think they must keep getting sprayed cause none of my critters smells like a skunk. My dogs don't roam but my cats like to go hunting in the corn fields so I hope they don't come across it one day.

That would make me a little nervous as well. I would try contacting animal control and see what they suggest. They might not be able to help you (more like willing!), but it would be worth a shot! You also might want to do a internet search on exterminating skunks. Try animal control first though. That seems to me like it would be the easiest route! Good luck with them!
smile.png

We have LOTS of skunks near our house and chicken coop. We just make sure things are as tight as possible to keep them from getting to the chickens. So far, not a single problem.

skunks will kill your chickens. we were loosing chickens and would find them laying on the ground in the chicken house with no heads. I caught a skunk red handed and my husband sent him to skunk heaven. I would have never thought a skunk would do that, but they will.

I am currently on line researching behavior...etc. I can call animal control and we have a local wildlife rescue that I can call on Tuesday.

Meanwhile....can a skunk squeeze through 4"x2" wire?
Anne

I wouldn't think a large skunk could but maybe younger skunks could though. Just make sure your chickens are locked up tight at night. Let us know what animal control and the wildlife rescue tells you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom