Sleepy Chicken?!

4 months old

One of mine has been acting very sleepy today. She isn't eating much, drinking much and just seems tired. She is closing her left eye all the time.

I don't have anything in my house to help except for chick vitamins (for when they first hatch or are shipped)

I don't see any abnormal poop.
Can you post some photos of her poop?

Hard to tell, but I would re-check the crop and smell her breath.
You mention one eye is kept closed? Can you open it to see if there's something in it?
You have vitamins for chicks? Photo of those, they are probably fine to use.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/

Can you post some photos of her poop?

Hard to tell, but I would re-check the crop and smell her breath.
You mention one eye is kept closed? Can you open it to see if there's something in it?
You have vitamins for chicks? Photo of those, they are probably fine to use.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour/
I will go re-check her crop. Here is a picture of the vitamins. Should I empty the acv water and put some vitamin water in?
I opened her eye, all seems normal. I will see if I can get a picture of her poop. I have to quarantine her first

Attachments

• 20190719_134158.jpg
    20190719_134158.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 2
will this one be okay on it's own out in the (enclosed and water proof) run?
If it won't fit in coop, and the run is predator proof.

why do you say lose the ACV? I don't normally use it but I thought it was supposed to help in this situation?
Because it doesn't really do much. It could confuse the symptoms/condition, especially when you don't even know what's really wrong with her.

If you were in a high heat climate I would suggest a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins.
Some Poultry Nutri-Drench might help and not hurt.

It is not an impacted crop. I just youtubed it and went and checked again. I honestly think it is her left eye. I don't see anything wrong with it but she is keeping it closed. I just hand fed her and she went and took water on her own. I am going to leave her one for a bit amd check on her later.
I will go empty the acv though and put in some vitamin water.

It is not an impacted crop. I just youtubed it and went and checked again. I honestly think it is her left eye. I don't see anything wrong with it but she is keeping it closed. I just hand fed her and she went and took water on her own. I am going to leave her one for a bit amd check on her later.
I will go empty the acv though and put in some vitamin water.

Did you feel her belly, from just below vent to down between her legs?
Compare to your other birds for reference.

Take away her food after dark, and feel her crop..... then check her crop before giving food again in the morning and look at her droppings.
It might take a couple days/nights in the crate for a full evaluation.

The closed eye should be inspected closely for signs of infection. Look for a very faint pink glaze. While you're at it, compare her eyes. Are the pupils the same size and perfectly round? How about the color? Are they both the same or is one slightly faded and muddy?

On the chance that she has picked up a bacterial infection, where has she been hanging out? If free ranging, where has she been digging? Any compost? How about yard machinery sitting around? Any leaking fluids onto the soil?

What sort of scraps have you been tossing the chickens if any? Have you checked the feed for signs of mold?

The closed eye should be inspected closely for signs of infection. Look for a very faint pink glaze. While you're at it, compare her eyes. Are the pupils the same size and perfectly round? How about the color? Are they both the same or is one slightly faded and muddy?

On the chance that she has picked up a bacterial infection, where has she been hanging out? If free ranging, where has she been digging? Any compost? How about yard machinery sitting around? Any leaking fluids onto the soil?

What sort of scraps have you been tossing the chickens if any? Have you checked the feed for signs of mold?
Pupils look the same size and round. No signs of any muddy or faded eye. No pink glaze. They do not free range. I have been tossing scraps like lettuce, spinach, zucchini, cooked rice, swiss chard, kale,strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. No mold, I throw that stuff away.
I just got a picture of her poop finally. It is green. I will post it now. I am just searching for that chicken poop chart. I know I have seen it somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom