Sling for turkey with splayed leg

turkey_bwub

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
Hello I have about an 8-9wk old turkey poult with splayed leg. We've tried a hobble to keep her leg underneath her, but while it seemed to be working it didn't. Vet said to keep her hanging off the ground and see if gravity can help fix the issue (as well as some vitamins) and while I was able to make a net to hold her in she's able to get herself out of it. Would anyone here happen to have any tips or maybe have made something for their turkeys?

I say she throughout this, but we really aren't sure if its a male or female just wanted to clarify.

Hello I have about an 8-9wk old turkey poult with splayed leg. We've tried a hobble to keep her leg underneath her, but while it seemed to be working it didn't. Vet said to keep her hanging off the ground and see if gravity can help fix the issue (as well as some vitamins) and while I was able to make a net to hold her in she's able to get herself out of it. Would anyone here happen to have any tips or maybe have made something for their turkeys?

I say she throughout this, but we really aren't sure if its a male or female just wanted to clarify.
Make sure that it isn't a slipped tendon. Treating a slipped tendon as splayed leg will not work. It has to be treated as a slipped tendon. You can search this forum for slipped tendon, perosis for possible treatments. It is the same treatment whether it is a turkey, guinea or chicken.

Make sure that it isn't a slipped tendon. Treating a slipped tendon as splayed leg will not work. It has to be treated as a slipped tendon. You can search this forum for slipped tendon, perosis for possible treatments. It is the same treatment whether it is a turkey, guinea or chicken.
I did check for that at first and I didn't think it was a slipped tendon it didn't feel like it had slipped and I wasn't willing to put too much pressure on it and mess something up. Vet didn't really say anything about slipped tendon either, but that it was a nutritional issue which I've been feeding her game bird starter.

I did check for that at first and I didn't think it was a slipped tendon it didn't feel like it had slipped and I wasn't willing to put too much pressure on it and mess something up. Vet didn't really say anything about slipped tendon either, but that it was a nutritional issue which I've been feeding her game bird starter.
Slipped tendons are normally a nutritional issue. The tendency to perosis my be inherited.

If it is a slipped tendon, supplemental vitamin B complex can help but the tendon still has to be manipulated into place and secured there.

Slipped tendons are normally a nutritional issue. The tendency to perosis my be inherited.

If it is a slipped tendon, supplemental vitamin B complex can help but the tendon still has to be manipulated into place and secured there.
Would the tendon feel loose at all if it was slipped?

Back
Top Bottom