Slipped Tendon on guineas chick? advice?

gardendragon

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
This little one is about 3 weeks old... Is this slipped tendon? It will limp on the leg and when I hold it, it does stretch it out. It will put weight on it, but then acts like we do when when put weight on a leg that hurts. I don't see any broken bones, to me it looks like the tendon slipped to the outside, however I read it slips to the inside.

I made a little "Cast" for it using q-tips, gauze, and vet wrap, to keep it straight, I have a hard time telling if the tendon is still in the middle once the "Cast" is on.. Thankfully, it settled down on my lap on it's back and just let me work on the leg.

I m thinking I should make it a chick chair, so the leg can hang straight for a few minutes every day? Thoughts?

Anyone else have success in treating this? if it is not in pain, I am ok with it having a limp.

LL
LL

This could be varus valgus deformity of the leg bone on one side. Google the term and there are some good pictures and info on ThePoultrySite and other sites. There is no treatment for it, and the hock tendon can sometimes rupture in many leg bone deformities.

• Eggcessive: I think you were right, the chick died yesterday, it was not thriving. I imagine more was genetically wrong with it. Actually glad the decision was not mine. I was considering culling it as I didn't want it in pain or later continuously harassed by others. It was the last to hatch in this group of 3. I have had low hatch rates with these guineas. Any future guineas to be added to my flock will be of new genes.

Back
Top Bottom