Small black poos after giving ACV - scared!

Chick - n - Rachel

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Bradenton, FL
I realy hope someone has experienced this, Im a new chick mom and Im scared to death.
Today I gave my two week olds apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon in a litre, I left it in there for about two hours, then obsurved them for 45 mins, and none of them were drinking so I washed the waterers and gave them fresh water, however I havent seen them drink any yet. I just went to check on them before I go to bed and there were about 20 half inch, pencil lead size, black hard poos in the brooder!!
I also tock them outside for there first supervised run about. Im thinking there dehydrated, its 11pm here and their sleeping, what should I do, Im sick with worry, any advise welcome please.
sad.png

Last edited:
Well my previous post has sorted its self out,
celebrate.gif

I realy think they were dehydrated, not wanting to drink as they didnt like the ACV, but didnt realise I'd given them fresh water hours ago. This morning them seem perfect and there poo's are looking more normal now, and they were in tip top health, all five were eating out of my hand at the same time....aaahhhh. I should like to use ACV but am scared to now. Maybe I'll try when there older and dilute it even more than recomended, dunno, we'll see....
jumpy.gif

I'm glad to see they're doing better this morning! I think you're right...wait a couple weeks, then dilute it more than normal. Start small, and add more as they get used to it. I put ACV in my chick water and they haven't had any problem with it, but I didn't start it until they were about 6 or 7 weeks old.

Oh thanks for your input, I was very nervous going to the brooder this morning! I think I'll do as you said, I'll wait til there at least seven weeks and dilute it even more. Thanks again!
lol.png

Last edited:
I give my hens about 1Tbsp in a gallon of water now that they are older.
What you may have seen is a flushing of the gut as the acidity changed, I doubt it hurt them but the amount of ACV has to be watched as it affects calcium use in chickens so is pertinent to both bone and egg creation...and in too-large does can affect kidney function.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom