Small rice looking worms in hen's poop

Jaime Rayfield

Hatching
Sep 25, 2017
Please help...We are new to backyard chickens. We received 3 hen's from our neighbor who was downsizing her flock. We have a 6ftx4ft coop and they can go out into the yard during the day while supervised. We have a dog and 2 cats and all are getting along great. I noticed a few weeks ago little white moving rice looking worms in the hen's poop. I contacted our feed store who recommended Backyard Chickens Zyfend-A. We followed the 10 day treatment course and the worms have decreased but are still there. I've included a photo of the poop from before we started the Zyfend. There are about 1/3 of the worms in the poop now.... Can anyone help in terms of what these are and how to treat them. The hens seem to be feeling fine.

Attachments

• Chicken Poop.JPG
    Chicken Poop.JPG
    800.9 KB · Views: 442
Hello! Most likely the rice looking worms are segments of tape worms. If you have tried a conventional method of worming, and the worms are still there, I might recommend a natural worming method. The generally are a lot less toxic to the birds, more beneficial to them, and are better at keeping the worms away.

Pumpkin and pumpkin seeds are great dewormers for dogs, people, and chickens!! They absolutely love the pumpkin and the seeds. The can eat the seeds whole, but if you crack them open it will be more effective at getting the worms out. Rather than getting canned pumpkin or pumpkin seeds from the store, I recommend getting a whole pumpkin, cutting it open, and cracking some of the seeds for them- they can have it all. The pumpkin works by paralyzing the worms so that they come out of the intestinal tract when the chicken poops. This means most likely after giving them some, you will see in increase of worms in the poop until they are completely gone.

Other anti parasitic herbs you could use include oregano, and garlic. Braags apple cider vinegar is also highly recommended.

I know everyone has their own opinions about conventional vs. natural, but if you've tried the conventional method and aren't seeing the results you want, I definitely would try the pumpkin seeds if I were you. :)

Good luck!

Edit: Also, parsley. I highly recommend fresh parsley. A lot of chickens love it, and it is highly anti parasitic. I have never dewormed a chicken with it, but when my dogs had worms (a lot of worms) I pretty much completely got the worms out with parsley water and a puree of pumpkin and pumpkin seeds in their food.

And as far as the garlic goes, it is great for chickens with the right dosages (although too much of any good thing can be bad). However, if your hens are of laying age, the garlic might make their eggs taste like garlic!

Last edited:
You could even stick the seeds right in your blender, and mix it with her feed, or just give it as a treat if you don't want to bother with cracking them all.

Those appear to be tape worms. Best I can tell Zyfend-A is just an herbal and probably not effective. If you want them gone you are going to have to use a chemical dewormer.
Tape worms can be stubborn. Here is a link to an older post with recommendations and dosing for tape worms. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/ (see post #6)
Herbals are fine for general health and prevention and I do use them for that, they will not treat an infestation/infection. I learned the hard way.

I realize everyone has probably had their own experiences with what remedies and treatments work, and which don't. I'm just sharing the experience that I've had with deworming, and I've never had to use chemicals.

This doesn't mean they aren't ever needed. Just in my experience, pumpkin seeds and parsley water are all I've had to use. And because they have worked for me, I haven't had the need to use chemicals. And I'm grateful for that, because I feel like my chickens are healthier because of it.

Note that I'm not a vet. I'm just someone with a lot of animals, and a garden full of herbs :)

My dogs had worms pretty bad. They were pooping lots of blood. Naturally, I was really worried for them. But I have to say, I didn't need to use a single chemical to treat them.

I'm not just asking you to take my word for it, you can read about a lot of people who have had this be successful.

I've had lots of people tell me I wouldn't be able to treat my animals solely with herbs, and I have lots of times. I'm not bragging about that, I just know a lot of people are apprehensive to treat with herbs because they aren't prescribed by vets. But if you do feel a need to go with a chemical one, there's nothing wrong with that. All I can tell you is what I've done. And I don't expect everyone on here to agree with what I'm saying, I'm just giving you my advice.

Last edited:
Those appear to be tape worms. Best I can tell Zyfend-A is just an herbal and probably not effective. If you want them gone you are going to have to use a chemical dewormer.
Tape worms can be stubborn. Here is a link to an older post with recommendations and dosing for tape worms. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tapeworms-that-wont-go-away.1130035/ (see post #6)
Herbals are fine for general health and prevention and I do use them for that, they will not treat an infestation/infection. I learned the hard way.
x2

My dogs had worms pretty bad. They were pooping lots of blood. Naturally, I was really worried for them. But I have to say, I didn't need to use a single chemical to treat them.

I'm not just asking you to take my word for it, you can read about a lot of people who have had this be successful.

I've had lots of people tell me I wouldn't be able to treat my animals solely with herbs, and I have lots of times. I'm not bragging about that, I just know a lot of people are apprehensive to treat with herbs because they aren't prescribed by vets. But if you do feel a need to go with a chemical one, there's nothing wrong with that. All I can tell you is what I've done. And I don't expect everyone on here to agree with what I'm saying, I'm just giving you my advice.
Did you have before and after fecals done? If so, what worms were found, and what was the fecal egg count before and after treatment?

Back
Top Bottom