Smart Chicken Coop Survey

Hello! I am doing a year long engineering project involving the improvement of the chicken coop. If anyone would be willing to fill out my survey to allow for data collection, that would be a tremendous help. Thanks in advance! Here is the survey:https://forms.gle/9MEq9SgSevevMSHF6

(If you do not want to fill out the whole survey and just want to write about what you wish was different about your chicken coop just add to the thread)
Your survey might lead to better answers if the questions were more specific.

Yeah but you said that you didn’t want it smart. Not that you didn’t want it automated. That’s not the same thing, and that’s *my* point.
The word 'smart' has become confusing. :rolleyes: :lol:
Smart and thus functional designs of coop and run structures, yes...
..."smart" automation controlled by "smart" devices and software, no.

I did the same.

One that comes to mind asks about routine. I wasn't sure if OP is asking about chicken routine or my personal routine, both may be relevant. For example that fact that in winter it is dark when I leave for work in the morning and dark when I get home at night (my personal routine/work schedule) may be an important piece of information with coming up with helpful solutions to chicken keeping. Doing things in the dark isn't entirely the same as doing them at 2:00 in the afternoon on a sunny day. Or is the question about my chicken routine and how I fill the food and water daily at about 7:00am and then check in afternoon to see if water has frozen. This info. may be important in a different way.

Another question asked about number of chickens owned, but nothing specifically accounted for mixed flocks, and many many chicken keepers have other poultry and/or livestock which would certainly impact what may or may not work or be useful for them. Ducks plus automatically refilling water = an endless flood.

There was no question about environment, which I think may be one of the most important factors that was perhaps overlooked, the needs of a flock where it snows almost all year and predominantly winter are different to the needs of a flock somewhere that heat could kill and it gets in the 100s on the regular and never freezes.

Also whether or not electricity or running water are available at the coop site.

and the list goes on. I hope this gives some more food for thought.

Hi everyone! Thank you for all of your responses and comments. I just wanted to be transparent and say that some of you are correct in saying that I do not know much about chickens. That is why I came here!! I want to know real problems chicken owners face and see if there is a way to alleviate these problems or assist with general tasks by changing the coop (ie. egg collection, automatic door opener, food and water dispenser, floor cleaner, live camera etc). The idea is not to stop owner/chicken interaction, it is to allow the owner a little bit more freedom and to assist in daily chores. Let me know if this makes sense. All feedback is appreciated!!

I'm a real old fogey, I don't have/want a "smart" phone. My mobile makes phone calls, that all I need it to do. I have chickens as pets, and I want to interact with them as much as possible. IMO, if you don't, why have them. Eggs from the store are cheaper, or buy from someone that has a home flock. My daily "chore" routine is minimal, most of the time I spend with them is by choice. Maybe someday, I might get an auto door, but I'm not sure I trust them, so, maybe not. That's as automated as I can see ever needing.Yes, I am retired, and I waited to get chickens until I retired, because I can see how it can be harder if you're working.

Hi everyone! Thank you for all of your responses and comments. I just wanted to be transparent and say that some of you are correct in saying that I do not know much about chickens. That is why I came here!! I want to know real problems chicken owners face and see if there is a way to alleviate these problems or assist with general tasks by changing the coop (ie. egg collection, automatic door opener, food and water dispenser, floor cleaner, live camera etc). The idea is not to stop owner/chicken interaction, it is to allow the owner a little bit more freedom and to assist in daily chores. Let me know if this makes sense. All feedback is appreciated!!
Only these are worthy of automation...and really only solves one 'problem' which is seeing if the door is open or closed and being able to control it remotely.

Back
Top Bottom