Smoke in the air....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jolyn, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Here in California the wild fires are every where. There isn't one too close to us to be dangerous but the smoke is killing us. My eyes hurt and my lungs do too. It's smoky and on top of that it's HOT!!

How are my chickens going to do in this? It's been weeks and i don't see any relief in the near future.

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:Me 2!! fires pretty close too [​IMG]

3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

has anyoen had to wear resperaters yet?

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Is there anyway to put a fan in the coop and blow the air out of the coop?

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:It would just be replaced with more smokey air unless you put in some kind of air purifier.

6. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    They showed some footage of Beijing today on the news and I thought it was around here :eek: Some people are wearing the masks around here.

7. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Yep, hot and nasty around here, too. I've been doing okay up until today. My eyes, nose, throat and lungs are all burning. The "girls" are off on their laying, too. And given how miserable I feel, I actually feel blessed because there are those who are in this wearing full firefighting gear, where it's really hot, battling all this to keep us safe. My prayers, thanks, and blessings go out to all those on the firelines!
    Liz

8. GreenieMama

GreenieMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    Shingle Springs, CA
    We're suffering too, so I'm just trying to do for the chickens what the news is telling us to do for us, avoiding too much sun, making sure they have lots of cool, fresh water, and now I'm freezing their treats and some large jugs of water to put in their coop with a fan.

Can't clean the air but we can keep them cool at least! Cooler than 108 degrees anyway!

How do you get a chicken sized respirator anyway?? [​IMG]

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:My DW is a nurse at a convalescent hospital and many of the old folks are on air. They are trying to keep fluids in them also. Right now the heat is the wrost for them. I am glad you saie resperaters and not those paper masks. The paper masks is the wrost thing anyone can use in this smoke.

10. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

thoes paper things are really good for dust only and they are really not the best at that eather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by