Revan

Songster
Jul 3, 2017
Modoc County, California
Hello. Currently, there is a massive fire about 15 miles away from where I live, so it's very smokey and very hot. My little cochin hen (she's 4 months old) started wheezing yesterday afternoon. I would have posted sooner, but both power and internet went out and internet didn't come back until today. My other chickens are doing okay, acting as usual, but I've moved my cochin hen inside as her wheezing was getting worse and her nostrils started leaking a bit of clear liquid. She's doing a bit better today, eating and drinking a bit, but still wheezing some. Is there anything I can do to help her, or just keep her inside for now?

Hello. Currently, there is a massive fire about 15 miles away from where I live, so it's very smokey and very hot. My little cochin hen (she's 4 months old) started wheezing yesterday afternoon. I would have posted sooner, but both power and internet went out and internet didn't come back until today. My other chickens are doing okay, acting as usual, but I've moved my cochin hen inside as her wheezing was getting worse and her nostrils started leaking a bit of clear liquid. She's doing a bit better today, eating and drinking a bit, but still wheezing some. Is there anything I can do to help her, or just keep her inside for now?
Keep her inside and give her some nutri-drench. I keep garlic tincture in my pantry--but it takes 30 days to make. Its good for respiratory issues. So is rosemary and oregano.

Okay, so I went into town and got two things. The vet handed me a large packet of Terra-Vet 10 (Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder) to put in my hen's drinking water. They said it's an anti-biotic. what concerns me with this is that it's for treating bacterial respiratory infections, which I don't think is my hen's problem. So I went by the co-op and picked up a different packet. Durvet brand Vitamins & Electrolytes Multi Species Formula, also to mix in water. Which of these, if either, should I try?

Since no one has responded and I need to give her something before I go to bed for the night, I'll go ahead and use what the vet gave me. I hope it helps.

I ended up bringing in my little rooster, her companion, as well as she started becoming really restless and squawking. She calmed down after I put him in with her. Should be quite the wake up call in the morning...

Okay, so I went into town and got two things. The vet handed me a large packet of Terra-Vet 10 (Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder) to put in my hen's drinking water. They said it's an anti-biotic. what concerns me with this is that it's for treating bacterial respiratory infections, which I don't think is my hen's problem. So I went by the co-op and picked up a different packet. Durvet brand Vitamins & Electrolytes Multi Species Formula, also to mix in water. Which of these, if either, should I try?

What does the packet you picked up do?

It's the closest thing I could find for Nutri-Drench that rjohns39 said I should give to help boost her immune system. :\ I've mixed in the antibiotic for now, since the vet gave me that to treat her.

Oh, I see. :p If the antibiotics don't work, I'm sure that will. :) Good luck, I hope she gets better soon!

How is your Cochin?

Since she is the only one that seemed to have respiratory symptoms, did your vet feel that she may have a respiratory illness instead of the cause being smoke?

Tetracycline can help with secondary infections caused by respiratory illness, so hopefully it will help her. Keep her drinking the antibiotic water, this really would need to be her only source of water to ensure she's getting enough medication. The Durvet vitamins are fine, you may want to mix up a small amount and use that water to make a wet mash for her to eat.

Hope she recovers soon.

Back
Top Bottom