Sneezy chickens

Ritzydoll

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
hello all! I have a flock of 5 hens that are around 6 mon old. They all seem happy, bright eyed, and energetic BUT I notice them sneezing from time to time. Even out in the yard when it’s not dusty. I clean their coop daily to every other day. Most days they have supervised free range time. They eat purina layer feed and have fresh water at all times. Is this sneezing something I should be concerned about? I’ve noticed for a couple months now. Every once in awhile one will sneeze and shake her head and I feel a clear droplet hit me. No runny eyes or swelling to face. They are my pets so please no one tell me that they all need to be put down. I just want to make sure I’m doing all I can to take the best care of them. Any thoughts or recommendations?

hello all! I have a flock of 5 hens that are around 6 mon old. They all seem happy, bright eyed, and energetic BUT I notice them sneezing from time to time. Even out in the yard when it’s not dusty. I clean their coop daily to every other day. Most days they have supervised free range time. They eat purina layer feed and have fresh water at all times. Is this sneezing something I should be concerned about? I’ve noticed for a couple months now. Every once in awhile one will sneeze and shake her head and I feel a clear droplet hit me. No runny eyes or swelling to face. They are my pets so please no one tell me that they all need to be put down. I just want to make sure I’m doing all I can to take the best care of them. Any thoughts or recommendations?

I've got something similar going on. This is my thread and what I am doing to treat them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sneezing-with-no-other-symptoms.1292506/

It is probably nothing unusual if they are just sneezing occasionally. If one sneezes every few minutes, then I would be concerned about possible infectious bronchitis virus.

Thank you so much for directing me to your thread. I have some VetRx that I may try as well. Do you use the VetRx every day on all your chickens?!?! I already know mine will not be willing subjects. Lol

Thank you so much for directing me to your thread. I have some VetRx that I may try as well. Do you use the VetRx every day on all your chickens?!?! I already know mine will not be willing subjects. Lol
Always take a look at your environment first before medicating. Sneezing can be caused by pollen, pesticides, feed dust, dust from dirt bathing, ammonia fumes in coop, improper coop ventilation, mold/fungus etc...all of these things can be corrected or eliminated.

Back
Top Bottom