Snow caved even my hoop run made of cattle pannels

jBlaze

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Oregon
We hardly get much snow on the floor of the Willamette valley, maybe up to 6 inches is a lot some years, many years with none, or just a dusting. I measured it at 14" a bit ago and it is still snowing.
Yesterday DD brushed the snow and ice off of the run, but this morning it was sagging and it caved completely while I was trying to get the snow off. I am So bummed, we just finished it a couple months ago! At least the shed is fine.
The run was made from 16 ft cattle pannels bent over into an 8 ft wide frame. We covered it with chicken wire.
It sure would be nice to have free range chickens and not have to worry about the run!!!! Darn hawks and dumb dog would be a bit too happy about free range food though!
Wonder how deep this will get before we're through. Hope we can save the run when it melts.
smile.png

Last edited:
I totally understand. We seldom get snow here in N. Louisiana, but last year we got 6" of heavy wet snow that tore down the deer netting over the runs and it was so heavy that it sagged the support wires that held up the netting and broke a post tearing down the gate. It was a week before everyone was allowed out again.
sad.png

I have a run made with cattle panels covered with 1/2" hardware cloth and I knew when I built it that it would not survive a heavy snow or ice storm on its own. That's why I keep four lengths of timbers to wedge between the ground and the underside of the roof. I also have strung heavy wire near the top, running side to side to act as collar ties and help strengthen the structure. (Careful of doing this too low as it might decapitate a tall person. Not a good thing.)

Cattle panels are not made to support a snow load but if you provide posting below it, there is no need to worry about collapsing.

Wayne

Yep, sorta figured that out. lol. We will put posts under the next one, too bad, I hate to have to manuver around them.
smile.png
Not real sure what you mean about the wire though?

I'm sorry to hear of the cave-in...but it's a good thing your coop still stands. Snow bites, doesn't it !!!!??! We get LOTS of it...and the damage it can do is tremendous & costly. We learned the hard way, so now we get out with the roof rake after each snow fall.

I used 16' ft panels also with one end on the ground and the other end at the top of the coop, so my hoop was a bit higher than yours as a result. About two feet down from the highest point, I stretched heavy fencing wire side to side to resist the tendency of the sides to spread out under pressure. Here's a drawing. The curved line is the cattle panel and the horizontal line is the wire stretched tight helping the top arc hold its shape.

coop_side_dwg.jpg

Wayne

Hmm. Do you think you could achieve something similar with those poles that people tie their boats to (I am not sure of the name but they arc over the boat)?

Back
Top Bottom